Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a used H16 boat for a winter project. I'll have to build a trailer for it, easy because I weld, but i would like some help knowing what is missing. The jib sail is gone but as for the rest it seems to be is good shape. I'm looking for help to get into this and maybe someone in the Indy area I could talk to.

I look forward to talking to anybody about this boat. Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congragulations on your new H-16, and your summer project!

Here are a couple of links you may find usefull, One is a parts guide, and the other is an assembly manual, just so you can know what you have or are missing.

If you need a place to find some used sails, E-Bay often has them listed, just search for "Hobie Cat"

Parts Guide:

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/PARTS_16

Assembly Manual:

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/H16_Manual.pdf

Once you know what you have and don't have, the first thing I would replace on an older boat, is the standing rigging. By this I mean the forestay, and side stays. Then the Jib and Main Halyard. Since the boat wasn't yours you don't know what condition these things where in and how they where cared for before you bought it.

Hope you enjoy your new toy, and welcome to the Hobie Community!

Brent Hendricks
H-16 S#13566

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might want to check on a used trailer... At least in my region the Hobie's do not last as long as the trailer. I am sure you could pick one up for less money than you would spend on a home made trailer...

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a guy on either this forum or on the open forum at Catsailor.com that lives on Indy's north side and sails on Eagle Creek. His name is George. If he was on Catsailor then I would suggest posting on there. I can't remember where I ran across him.

I grew up on the north side of Indy (don't hold it against me) and spent some time at Eagle Creek canoeing. As I recall there were lots of Hobies and according to George there still are. I don't remember what part of the resivior they sail on, but it would be worth a trip to talk to those guys.

As for making a trailer I looked into that as well. I found that by the time I added the material cost (Northern Hydraulic for the supplier of the trailer stuff and a local raw materials supplier for the metal) welding supplies, and the time it would take it came out to well over $1000, which is approximately the cost of a new galvanized trailer. I ended up buying one from Trailex. It's extruded aluminum and light as a feather... good for milage.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO