Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate has it right--the strut release is a simple design for quick lock and release when setting up/taking down the AI. The fact that it is fairly easy to release accidentally when underway is not good. The fact they release when sliding backwards down a large wave (I believe Kayaking Bob or someone out there had this happen in HA) is not good.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The fact that they release when sliding backwards down a large wave IS good.

If you're in that unfortunate position, bad things are about to happen to you. With the amas collapsed, the AI's ability to survive intact increases. The smaller the AI is, as you and it are driven under water, the less chance there is for it to injure you. I don't think my boat would have stayed together for very long if it had not folded up. Trust me when I tell you that I was not happy about it at the time. But when I think about it now, it gave me the best chance to survive the capsize and escape.

I know the accidental releases are a PITA, but it would seem that by putting a stronger spring in the cap, you might be able to stop that from happening without losing any safety features. Just a thought.