Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Everybody,

I am new here and have no experience with sailing.
I would like to buy used Hobie 16 or 14 (Wave costs too much) and learn to sail catamaran.
I also want my 11 y. o. son to learn with me.
My wife will accompany us from time to time as a passenger.
Is it wise to get 16 or should I start with 14 and upgrade in 2-3 years?
Is there space on Hobie 14 for 3 people for relax sailing?

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd go with a H16. Three people is too much for the H14. TWO people you can get away with occasionally, but not three. I had next to no sailing experience when I started out on my H16 and now I think I do rather well. So... the 16 would be my recommendation. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A 14 is a bad idea with three people on board - there is for sure no relaxing since there will be always someone in the way. A 16 is a hand full especially for someone who has not sailed before. I guess the traditional way is to learn sailing on a monohull - but I guess there are quiet a few people who learned sailing on a hobie.

Patrick

Post subject: Learn to sail first -
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cats can be a handful. Really. :shock: Just tacking (turning) one of these bad boys can be a challenge even when you are experienced. If you have access to an experienced sailor then I would say the 16. If you don't have that option, start with a sunfish or laser to learn the basics of sailing. Then go to the 16 or a 17. The 14 is a one person boat.

I'd be willing to bet that there is no one on this forum who has been sailing Cats from the get-go. I'd also guess that most of us started on Sailfish or Sunfish. 8)

Good luck, welcome, and have fun!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My dad and I both started from scratch on the same H16 I still have. :shock:

Warm regards,

Jim

Last edited by JaimeZX on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

J Z, thats effing great!!!!!! I literally laughed out loud. your the man....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started on cats. I can't stand those tippy monos.

Ifcat, I would agree with Jamie. The 16 is the way to go. Three people will be fine on it and you should be able to find alot of info online about sailing it. 16s can also be found relatively easily and cheaply and extra parts are also readily available. The 14 is far too small for your intended purpose.

Matt G
Hobie 16 SN#1960
Burbank CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:)

Post subject: Come to think of it...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well color me "old" :oops: I forget that Hobies were invented in my lifetime and a lot more available :roll:

Come to think of it, none of my kids had ever sailed on a mono hull either until last summer because they grew up on my 16, 14 and the 17.

Here is the first mono-hull they sailed on: http://www.senecadaysails.com/

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You don't need a monohull to learn to sail if you want to sail a Hobie. My first sailing experience was on a Hobie 14 and three weeks later I bought a Hobie 16. Learn to sail by: 1. Reading up on the basics 2. Having someone experienced on a Hobie take you out 3. Just sail. I say, buy a used Hobie 16 and ask the seller to show you the ropes before cutting you loose. I'll never go back to sailing monohulls - there's no adrenaline rush with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started on a Hobie 16 as well... In case you couldn't tell by the forum, Hobie people are some of the most friendly people around, and are always trying to suck someone else into the lifestyle!!! Be careful, it's very addictive.

My suggestion is to hook up with a hobie fleet near where you live, and I'm sure you'll find someone with a used boat they are looking to sell, and more than a few who would be willing to show you the ropes on rigging and sailing.

Where would you be sailing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you.
I really appreciate all your help.

I try to find old Hobie 16 in ready to sail condition.

I guess I start on a lake in northern NJ – maybe Lake Hopatcong, maybe Spruce Run or Round Valley Reservoir or something smaller.

Post subject: 16 or 14
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why not try and find a local yacht club and take a brief sailing course. They typically use mono-hull boats such as sunfish or lasers.

Then go out and get yourself a decent Hobie 16. I agree three people on a 14 is too much for the boat to handle. Once you have the basics of sailing under your belt, you'll be glad that you got the bigger boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I first learned to sail on a Sunfish as a child and thought it was a piece of cake. I always wanted to get back into sailing and finally got a Hobie thnking I would master it no problem. After about 5 years I still don't feel like I know what I am doing. I think I have had more trouble with the boat itself than with the wind and basic sailing technique. It has been a challenge but also a lot of fun for me and my wife (who had zero sailing experience).
There's definately the room you want on a Hobie 16 though - just a lot more boat to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm down in S. Jersey, if you're in the area. There are close to 100 Hobie's on the beach I sail from, and we sail right off the beach into the ocean. I learned by ocean sailing, and a lake might be an easier start, but I'm still alive... The waves can make it a little tricky getting out, and back in, but there is nothig like sailing over the waves, and riding them coming back in!

You can learn the basics in a day, but 7 yrs later, I still have a lot to learn.

I have a 1986 H 16 that is in decent shape that I am selling as I just upgraded to a 2005. If your in the area, let me know and I'll take you out and show you how the boats handle... The only problem after sailing the 2005, is you'll want one...

I'm selling the 1986 for $1,100. I have pics I can send if your interested.