Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warm Water Holiday
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dear all,
My wife is 60 this 8th November, I'll be 60 on St Pat's day 2010. We are considering taking a holiday somewhere warm in March/April 2010 after we have celebrated with the kids & granchildren, possibly in the Caribbean.
She has no interest at all in sailing. She loves 5 star hotels, health spas, shopping etc. ensuring that our savings account remains empty. I like to wear old tee shirts, shorts & flip flops and would be happy to sleep in a hammock, eat cheese sandwiches and drink cold beer.
After sailing my AI solely in South wales UK, I would love to sail in clear warm turquoise water.
I'm looking for somewhere that would suit us both and has AIs for hire nearby.
Anybody have any Ideas?
Ger

Post subject: Re: Warm Water Holiday
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Ger

here in the Cayman Islands there are the facilities your wife desires, and we have the water your looking for, however I think I have the only AI in Cayman (tho there are hobiecat rentals) I have a small business to run so can't use my AI as much as I'd like so your welcome to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

makenmend,

You had better be careful what you are offering. I thought Ger was posting on my behalf as his union is about the same as mine although my wife like to have money in the bank. However she likes to be pampered and I like to bum and sail the AI. You might have a new business starting needing a fleet of AI to rent.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ger wrote:
Dear all,
My wife is 60 this 8th November, I'll be 60 on St Pat's day 2010. We are considering taking a holiday somewhere warm in March/April 2010 after we have celebrated with the kids & granchildren, possibly in the Caribbean.
She has no interest at all in sailing. She loves 5 star hotels, health spas, shopping etc. ensuring that our savings account remains empty. I like to wear old tee shirts, shorts & flip flops and would be happy to sleep in a hammock, eat cheese sandwiches and drink cold beer.
After sailing my AI solely in South wales UK, I would love to sail in clear warm turquoise water.
I'm looking for somewhere that would suit us both and has AIs for hire nearby.
Anybody have any Ideas?
Ger

Hi Ger

I imagine AI's would not be the boat of choice for a rental fleet anywhere , too much to break! Phuket has LOADS of Spa's, in fact theres a flood of the bloomin' things, its also got 5 star hotels @ 2 star prices and shopping galore...so your wife would be happy at least..well...maybe not...!!!!

Lots of little feelfree sit on tops for rent, they are actually manufactured in thailand and THEY ARE EVERYWHERE rent for about £4 an hour...you can even rig a trolling rod off the back on them and go fishing for barracuda

Caribbean is quite expensive isnt it??? Where are you sailing in S.Wales???...you must be very brave...the tides, the tides!!!!!!! The Mud, the mud!!!!!!!!!....must be Rhossili or somewhere west of Swansea!!!! I returned to the bucolic splendours of this fair isle a couple of months back and do actually glance across from Clevedon now and then just to see if i can spy a little yellow sail but nothing coming across from Newport just acre upon acre of coffee couloured Channel!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

makenmend,
Quote:
here in the Cayman Islands there are the facilities your wife desires, and we have the water your looking for, however I think I have the only AI in Cayman (tho there are hobiecat rentals) I have a small business to run so can't use my AI as much as I'd like so your welcome to use it

That is a very kind offer. We spent one day on Grand Cayman when on a P&O winter cruise. We both liked what we saw in the short time we were there and my wife has often said that she would like to go back and stay longer.
It is a very good idea, and we shall look into it. With your local knowledge, do you recommend any particular hotels?

Philip1el,
We spent two weeks on Koh Samui a few years back. Thailand is a beautiful country and has good weather, a wonderful culture and lovely food. However, when you said
Quote:
your wife would be happy at least..well...maybe not...!!!!
the maybe not part was correct. The behaviour of bar girls, even in broad daylight, annoyed her and she says that she won't go back to Thailand. It is a shame, because I believe that it would be much more affordable than the Caribbean.
I used to sail in Cardiff bay, but roofracking the AI for a few hours sail was a real pain, so I mostly sail in Llandegfedd reservoir now because that is where the boat is stored fully rigged. I ride my motorbike to Llandegfedd wearing my drysuit, step off, I pull the AI about 20 yards to the slipway and I'm away.
I am looking at storing it on my motorhome roof in the near future so that I can use it anywhere I like, and for longer.

Thanks both,

Ger.

BNelsonR,
Quote:
I thought Ger was posting on my behalf as his union is about the same as mine although my wife like to have money in the bank.

It seems we are doppelgangers. My wife also likes to have money in the bank; at least for as long as the shops are open.

Ger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ger wrote:

Philip1el,
We spent two weeks on Koh Samui a few years back. Thailand is a beautiful country and has good weather, a wonderful culture and lovely food. However, when you said
Quote:
your wife would be happy at least..well...maybe not...!!!!
the maybe not part was correct. The behaviour of bar girls, even in broad daylight, annoyed her and she says that she won't go back to Thailand. It is a shame, because I believe that it would be much more affordable than the Caribbean.
I used to sail in Cardiff bay, but roofracking the AI for a few hours sail was a real pain, so I mostly sail in Llandegfedd reservoir now because that is where the boat is stored fully rigged. I ride my motorbike to Llandegfedd wearing my rysuit, step off, I pull the AI about 20 yards to the slipway and I'm away.
I am looking at storing it on my motorhome roof in the near future so that I can use it anywhere I like, and for longer.
Ger

Cant do much re the first problem other than advise that If youve booked a package holiday your going to be plonked right into the middle of the melee with all the associated 'jackassery' thrown in!! Actually it was this reputation that saved so much of the country for so long...(well into the late 80's)...from the extreme ravages of mass tourism. I'm amazed it lasted that long! Now its gone totally gimcrack.

loading/unloading (specially if the boats way up on the roof of a motorhome) is another matter. Two systems your undoubtedly aware of, but maybe not.

Hullavator (available only by mail order abroad as our ridiculous health and safety laws forbid its sale in UK) looks to be a brilliant system that will allow you to load unload your boat from just a few inches above the ground.

or rack and roll which I'm going for as its cheaper and more appropriate as I use a pick up truck.

Ha..!!!! I was within a couple of miles of Llandegfedd reservoir yesterday. I had been cycling the devils staircase (Abergwesyn) that day and was returning home by car on the Raglan-Newport road!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Ger
this morning I'm taking my sister and hubby(viiting from UK Worcs) sailing for there 1st time ever, from past expierence I fully expecy them to to be solo in half hour.
As far as places to stay the better hotels( with spa facilities) are on & mile beach, Marriot,Carribean club,Westin,Ritz Carlton. Or getting away from town Compass point (40 mins road trip)