Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All

I am very excited that I have a new AI 09 arriving.

I have a place next to the water that is flat and shaded. The question is how should I store it?

Ideally I can keep it assembled and upright. And just put some supports inder it.

Right now I am planning on moving it in and out of the water using a Sitech Dolly. I also have 4 Talic Sea horses I can use.

Can I just place 4 Seahorse under Kayak portion and be OK and not worry about hull distortion?

Thanks So much in advance. I really don't want to mess up here!

Seahorse: http://talic.com/cat21.php
Dolly: http://www.seitech.com/product_details. ... iIDClass=7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Luto, the Seahorse saddles look OK - our local Hobie dealer has stored his display model for months using a similar setup, with no apparent ill effects. It's hard to go past the standard Hobie cart for wheeling the AI around. It has the advantage that it's easy to carry around in the boat, in case you want to come ashore away from your launching site.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my AI sitting on a couple 10 foot long plastic drain pipes. Each pipe is only supported at two points, allowing it to flex, bowing down in the middle (You can add something under the pipe near the center to control the maximum deflection). I think the pipes are about 18" apart or so (just outside the center bulge in the hull). The boat can be slid fully assembled onto the pipes. Since the pipes flex, they act as a longitudinal saddle, preventing any hull deformation.

Actually, to tell the truth, the pipes are a part of a cart system I built that moves up and down a ramp for easier launch and retrieval (I'm in a wheelchair and can't lift or pull the boat). But, the boat stays on the pipes on the cart at all times that I'm not sailing.