Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaking Hulls
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My hulls have started taking on a lot of water - even in light wind. My theory is that it might be coming in through or around the drain plug housing. They are in bad shape so I am going to replace them anyway.

My first question is: Do I need to seal around the drains, and if so what product do I use?

Next, if it turns out the leak is elsewhere on the hulls is there another product I can be armed with ahead of time. I think I have some spots that might need repair anyway.

I read up on the leak test and plan on doing that. My boat is 2 hours away and there aren't that many more weekends that I can get up there - so I didn't want to waste another weekend(s) diagnosing the problem and not being able to sail. I have no experience working on these types of repairs so am hoping there is something simple - like point and spray so I can still get some sailing in before possibly tackling any serious project.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simple things first - how are the O-rings on the drain plugs? Then for the time-being you could also probably smear some silicone around the assembly. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The good news is that silicone will repair most leaks on a solid Hobie 16. Bad news is that it will not repair all and it takes some time to dry. Goop can be used, it is faster drying but is harder to get off if need be. It is polyurethane.

If you have an air mattress inflater you can put the drain hole then use soapy water with a sponge to look for the air that is escaping. If you have hull caps they need to be put on securely. If you are using something that is capable of higher pressure be adviced that you could make leaks by seperating seams. Be careful, it only takes about 1 pound of pressure. If your drain plugs are not leaking and you are not submerged to the rail while on the water there is a distinct possibility that the bottom of the boat is worn down enought to cause a hole there. Look a the bottom of the boat sometimes you can just see it if there is a hole.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, unfortunately I have discovered that the leak is not around the drain as I suspected. So it is somewhere on the bottom of the hull - which I discovered is in pretty rough shape. It looks bad enough (lots of stripping, seeing glass in some spots) that it might just have to wait until the fall until I get it off the beach.

On the plus side, I learned that the boat rides a lot lower in the water than I had remembered (either that or I have gained a lot of weight!). So maybe the boat is sailable for the rest of the summer with a dumping each time.

Is that normal for the rear end to be 75% submerged?

Dan, that's a great idea with the matress vac as I think I have one and the boat is far away from any electrical outlet. I do find it hard to believe that it can be so dangerous to put a lot of pressure in those big hulls (and how in the world could you ever accomplish anything blowing in there with your mouth as I've seen suggested). But I will take your word for it.