Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering a Pro Angler
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first post but it won't be the last. I've read quite a few of the posts and am impressed with the help members provide. I'll be moving to Florida next year and plan to purchase a PA for fishing in and around Crystal Springs and Homosassa and the freshwater lakes in central Florida. My car is a Hyundai Genesis Sedan and none of the manufacturers make a roof top carrier for that car (yet anyway). Looks like I'll have to trailer it. Any recommendations on a brand of trailer and suggestions to make it easier for a single person to set up the trailer for loading/unloading? I will make occasional runs to Everglades City and Chokolosskee and the Keys; mostly high speed highway running. All suggestions are appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a single jetski trailer for mine, works great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie sells an all Aluminum trailer (by Trailex) for the PA. part # 38642000 (+ cradled kit # 72020401) its perfectly set-up for the PA. Very light weight as well. check it out in our catalog online - or to see it in person and order it call toll free 1800hobie49 for your nearest dealer direct.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yak'd_up: How do you put a 14 foot PA on that jet ski trailer? Did you modify it at all to support the middle of the yak?

Site Admin: I saw that trailer on the website but have no idea what it costs. What is retail for it? The dealer in Homosassa Springs is 600 miles away at this point and I'm trying to plan the $ outlay. I suspect he'll be at or close to retail for the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have noticed absolutely no deformation of the hull being supported this way. I friend of mine has had his for a few months trailered the same way with no problems. If there's an actual boat launch i use it, if not i just drag it off and launch the "old fashioned" way. quite happy with this setup. I picked the trailer up on craigslist for $200, made longer bunk brackets and added the roller under the keel in the front to keep it off of the tounge. the extra length hanging off the back wouldn't be supported anyway regardless of the setup.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks to Yakd_up. Those pictures are a great help. Great looking kid too! Does she (I think) ever go with you fishing? What is the overall length of the trailer?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HE made his first fishing trip ever with me this past Sunday. I put the seat from my prowler 13 in the back for him. Had a blast(till the applejuice and CC cookies ran out). Not sure on the oa length, at work so I can't go measure(guesstimating 13'). Its a 2003 shoreland'r, maybe you can find some info online.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great fishing around the Homosassa River. Lots of places to get away from the outboards. Some strong tides. Ozella (between Homosassa and Crystal River is direct access to the Gulf. See you on the river when you get here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Ranger908. I grew up in Miami and have intimate knowledge about Biscayne Bay and the Keys and where/how to catch fish there. I did some fishing at Marco Island before it was developed and took several trips with my Dad to Everglades City and Chokolosskee. Snook, Redfish and trout (weakfish) were the mainstays in the SW coast. What types of fish are prevalent in this area (Homosassa, Crystal River and Ozella?

You also mention some strong tides. What rate do they move at? Any problem to go against the tide with the Mirage Drive?

It's going to be a fun time exploring new waters and re-learning how to salt water fish again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Same fish, but the snook are far and few between. Tarpon in the spring. Not a big tide only about 2 feet on the average. But some places on the river tighten up and it will really run for a while. You can beat it if you hug the bank.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A french idea with a motorbike trailer:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife is going to pick up 2 PA's tomorrow, and we already have Yakima Racks 58" for our old canoe. We got the Yak bar for placing the Yak's on their side (verticle) while traveling. We are going to be hauling these on top of our full size pickup truck. Does anyone think trying to load and haul these on the bars vertically will cause a problem? She is traveling about 5 hrs to pick them up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haul my PA in the back of my Mazda B2500 (ford ranger) pickup. Obviously if there were two, they would need to be placed on their sides, but would fit. Just have her put a long flag on the rear of the yak's and she'll have no problem getting them home where you can work on what you want to do all the time. I'm nearly 66 and don't have the body strength to put it on top. Probably could, but in the back solves my transportation problem for now. Thinking of a trailer though, as I want to put it in the water during the cold winter months when it would be uncomfortable to get in the water to take the wheels off and on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well they made the trip from Central Georgia, to Middle Tennessee just fine. They were still wrapped up in origional packing. They placed one on the roof rack system and 1 in the bed of the truck with the bed extender that hooks up to the receiver. They will not both fit in the bed of the truck at the same time due to the fiberglass Tonneau cover. It stopped raining yesterday evening so I loaded mine up and hit the water for about 2hrs just to get familiar with it. I had a blast, but the wife wasn't in town so I had to call her while I was on the water. I got many questions at the boat ramp and got many looks everyone seemed interested. It was easy to load and unload by myself from the back of the truck. After vacation next week we are ordering a trailer so we can just tow them and park them in the garage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Big, as I just bought the Trailex trailer and the PA cradles from my local dealer and paid just over 1k out the door. I am putting it together (I spoke to the guys at Trailex and they assured me there were good directions supplied) myself which encouraged the dealer to give me the discount. I think you could probably get your dealer to sell you one and have it drop shipped to you. If you can't, mine would probably.