Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got my first kayak (Mirage Sport) Saturday, had it in Mission Bay Saturday and San Diego Bay Sunday. Loved every minute and can't wait to take it sailing.

Been doing some Internet research of different sail types, seeing if anything might be as good or better than the Hobie sail (cheaper would be great too).

I happened upon this intriguing sail design from, apparently, South Africa. It's got a mast that looks like it would fit right in the Mirage mast hole, and it doubles as a bimini-style sun shade:

http://www.kayak.co.za/shop/sailrigs.shtml

Not sure how much this costs. What do you "kayak sailors" think of this sail option for the Mirage?

Dansker[/img]

Post subject: This could work!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know much about designing sails and boats, but rig looks promising. The rig is called a lateen rig and has been used for hundreds of years, check out a dhow in your encyclopedia.

Sunfish boats use a similar rig and they are many more adjustments one can make. For example, you can move the whole triangle up or down, foreward or back or tilt the aft of the triangle higher or lower depending on conditions. The book entitled "The Sunfish Bible" describes the affect of these adjustments.

With this many options, it would suggest a benefit over the stock Hobie sail. With the stock setup, there are no adjustments other than the main sheet tension. Most improvements posted here are in improving the control of the sheet by reducing the drag.

I think the lateen rig would greatly improve the downwind speed of a Hobie. Seeing the picture you posted triggers the notion that one could easily build a similar rig. That would be fun. The downside of this rig would be the aforementioned complexity in rigging options and deciding just how much sail to carry. Of course if you build up an outrigger as suggested, then this could really be the start of a high performance sailing option.

I intend to give it a go by simply putting a downsized Sunfish rig on my Hobie. Thanks for the inspiration.

Post subject: Thanks for reply
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great information. So it's a lateen rig, eh? That's new to me. The more I learn about sails, the more interesting they get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with Dansker, that is an intriguing sail rig--a lateen laid on its side. It puts me in mind of a hang glider wing--something I dabbled in years ago. It would be interesting to try it out, as I suspect it might make very efficient use of available wind, however, I'm a little suspicious of its effect on the yak's stability. Additionally, according to the company's web site info, there are three mainsheets to deal with, and the arrangement of corresponding cleats might present a challenge on the outback. Anybody out there tried it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a 3 sq meter windsurfing sail I adapted to the Hobie Sport. It works well in winds up to 15 knots but only if you have an outrigger. In higher winds I use the Hobie sail or my EZ Sail rig. The larger sail area makes light wind days into exciting sail days. Good sailing everyone! Norman aka Punchinello

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Punch,
Very nice--another great rig from the Sport Sailing Master! Thanks for the idea.
Dick