Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi every one,
I'm really hooked on day-long runs along the coast with the AI.
Now I'd like to make one step up the ladder and spend nights outdoors.
The problem is that down here there are many places where you can't sleep on solid ground (for lack of a suitable place or environmental regulations forbidding it).
So I made my little homework on the list and here are three quotes I hope their authors won't mind me digging out :

1) Phil : "I had high hopes that the nets might be used for sleeping but if you whole weight is on one side you will be in the water! If you could keep your butt in the boat and sleep crosswise it is doable. ..."

2) jawzney : "I've created a system for dropping anchore and sleeping aboard. (Picture a cot just off center with a lightweight one man tent on it.)"
So just pull out the bed pad & sleeping bag and sleep on the cockpit. It's not too bad if ya tired enough.

3) Roadrunner : "So just pull out the bed pad & sleeping bag and sleep on the cockpit. It's not too bad if ya tired enough."

My comments :

1) Precisely what I hoped too... I was thinking of attaching one ama to the other (with details to be found obviously), just for the night, which could avoid the problem Phil found out. Just for the night we might get a stable enough platform ?

2) I'm afraid I don't really see what jawzney set up is like. In that thread, some one refers to the possibilty of fitting a hammock, that would be great (lightweight, foldable and comfy, especially on a boat !)

3) I don't sleep much but that's perhaps a little too hardcore for my non-Everglades challenge purposes ;)

Any thoughts on the matter ?
Cheers !

Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arno wrote:
Precisely what I hoped too... I was thinking of attaching one ama to the other (with details to be found obviously), just for the night, which could avoid the problem Phil found out. Just for the night we might get a stable enough platform ?
Cheers !

Sleeping across the trampolines looks like a promising solution Arno. The question is what to put between the inner edges of the two tramps, to span the cockpit. You could just build the area up, with rolled-up sleeping bags or the like, or possibly stretch something between the tramps, like another piece of trampoline matting or maybe some heavy duty cargo netting. Those eyelets on the inner edges of the tramps look like they may have been put there for just such a purpose. Alternatively, perhaps a piece of garden lattice could rest on the gunwales and be collapsed when not in use, for easy storage.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would take my spare clothes, place them in a wide dry duffle and place it over the middle hatch to build it up. A life vest may do the trick too. I would then unroll a thermarest or pad from tramp to tramp. I bet you could rig a rain fly attaching to the amas, mast and stern. My biggest concern would be finding calm water out of the wind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

donjoe wrote:
I would take my spare clothes, place them in a wide dry duffle and place it over the middle hatch to build it up. A life vest may do the trick too. I would then unroll a thermarest or pad from tramp to tramp. I bet you could rig a rain fly attaching to the amas, mast and stern. My biggest concern would be finding calm water out of the wind

I reckon you could rig one of these across the tramps and attach it to the amas with rubber straps.
It would be difficult to set up and use in deep water, but, like Arno, I'm interested in circumventing "no camping" regulations by staking out in shallow water just offshore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChrisJ and I were just talking about this at the weekend. We were looking at Cowsgomoo's tramp setup and thought that if you use 3 tramps instead of 2, can the 3rd one be adapted to fit in the middle across the hull using the crossbars as supports making one big hamock.
Or better still Arno, perhaps one of those french babes can be used to help soften the sleeping surface.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sleeping on board? No problem:

In fact, I couldn't wake them up for anything.

Hobie Adventure Island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIq7IhU84Y[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie should add your photo to their sales brochure. What a great family shot. You cant do that with a regular Kayak. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've just shown my two daughters (7 and 8) that great pic and now they're sold on the tramps too !!
Well my concern with the idea of stuffing things in the main hull to provide central support for roughly the hips when sleeping across is that I imagine there will always be a gap level wise with the tramps, making it not too comfy. But I'm just guessing here as I haven't seen the tramps fitted yet.
Hope I'm wrong !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How about buying the cheapest possible inflatable canoe/kayak, inflatable by mouth, then, at bedtime, lash it alongside...

Sweet dreams!

Ditch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditch Crawler wrote:
How about buying the cheapest possible inflatable canoe/kayak, inflatable by mouth, then, at bedtime, lash it alongside...

Sweet dreams!

Ditch

I dunno about inflating an inflatable kayak by mouth Ditch, but you can get little rechargeable battery operated pumps for that purpose. I've got that setup from my pre-Hobie days. You could possibly sleep on one, though they are not the ideal shape, with moulded in seats etc and you wouldn't be able to rig any sort of shelter.
As to sleeping across the tramps, wouldn't it be great if Hobie made a half-width tramp, possibly attached by straps at the front, as well as the rear. You could use one to span the cockpit plus they could be used instead of the standard tramps for those of us who don't want to lose the ability to paddle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe you could rig up a hammock utilising the rod holder sockets and the mast.

I'll get me coat.... :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
Ditch Crawler wrote:

Sweet dreams!

Ditch

I dunno about inflating an inflatable kayak by mouth Ditch, but you can get little rechargeable battery operated pumps for that purpose. I've got that setup from my pre-Hobie days. You could possibly sleep on one, though they are not the ideal shape, with moulded in seats etc and you wouldn't be able to rig any sort of shelter.
As to sleeping across the tramps, wouldn't it be great if Hobie made a half-width tramp, possibly attached by straps at the front, as well as the rear. You could use one to span the cockpit plus they could be used instead of the standard tramps for those of us who don't want to lose the ability to paddle.

the very,very, very, cheap ones don't have moulded-in seats - anyway, how about a kids dinghy, then there might be room for two (if a compliant mermaid happened to be around) - I have a inflatable mattress which I easily inflate by mouth, and it is very comfortable even on a solid floor. For shelter, just add a bivi-bag - you won't get much shelter on a trampoline ffs!

Ditch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditch Crawler wrote:
the very,very, very, cheap ones don't have moulded-in seats - anyway, how about a kids dinghy, then there might be room for two (if a compliant mermaid happened to be around) - I have a inflatable mattress which I easily inflate by mouth, and it is very comfortable even on a solid floor. For shelter, just add a bivi-bag - you won't get much shelter on a trampoline ffs!

Ditch

I was envisioning the tramps as a platform for a bivi. You might get just a tad wet sleeping out on the water on an inflatable mattress, but the right shaped inflatable dinghy might be a possibility. It all has to be stowable on the AI.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Ditch Crawler wrote:

Sweet dreams!

Ditch

What about a 2nd hand life raft. Even comes with a tent... :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
What about a 2nd hand life raft. Even comes with a tent... :D

Hmmm, I've never really seen one in the flesh. Could you fold one up in the back of an AI?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next