Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Broke my mast in two and before anyone says...don't...i'm gonna attempt a repair. Anyone got a 3 foot long spare mast section...maybe from an unwanted damaged mast.... to use as a sleeve?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have a newly formed two part mast that is in no way recoverable. I'm sure there is more than 3 feet of recoverable section if you're interested. How did you break your mast?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there,

I am on [email protected]

The mast is 9 years old. We did not have the kite hoisted fully and when a gust hit us we were too busy keeping the rudders down (not right either:-)), did not have the main centered, and that was enough to break the mast.

I am on the west coast of Ireland but Fedex/DHL can deliver a section easily for a reasonable shipping cost. I could arrange collection. What part of the world are you in?

I am thinking a sleeve on the inside would do the trick.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the sleeve will fix it but could create a stress riser situation where the sleeve ends. I assume the mast broke above the hounds so I would suggest sleeving it from below the hounds to the top off the mast. By setting all your rivets thru both pieces at the tangs and again at the top cap it should hold up. I'm no engineer but when I was repairing my SX mast at the base this is what my engineer friends stated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip...It broke clean where the diamond wires attach topside, below the hound...only reason i am persuing is a new mast over here is 3500 euro delivered.....how much do they cost stateside?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How are you going to sleeve a section of mast with the same size section? It's not going to fit inside. The outside dimensions of the sleeve would have to be the same or smaller than the inside dimensions of the broken mast. Or vice-versa for an external sleeve.

Maybe something like a H14 mast with the luff track cut off would fit inside, I don't know. But I don't see how you're going to get one Tiger mast to fit inside another Tiger mast.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there....last time I did this I cut off the track and sleeved on the outside with 1 inch circles drilled on the outer sleeve to faciliate welding. Worked a treat. Thinking i will be able to squeeze the light aluminium to make it fit and look less obvious...won't know till i try i guess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brilliant! If you don't need it with any immediacy I can send it in my friend's shipping container, it's leaving vancouver on Aug 29th and arriving in Ireland whenever it gets there! Otherwise I can DHL it to you. How much length would you like?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great News. Needed urgently as the Irish nationals are on 2 weeks from now. I am all set to do the work so time is on our side. 5 feet would be great. My address is Tim Breen, American Power Conversion, Ballybrit East Business Park, Ballybrit Galway Ireland. I have an account with DHL under the above name so you can make it 'receiver pays'. Cell = +353 86 811 7692. That should do the trick. Let me know if you need anything else. Big thanks by the way!!! If ever you are in Ireland you can borrow the boat as it will be part yours!!!!