Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up my new i14t at the dealer yesterday evening and was happy all around (hoping to be on the water soon). But when I started to have a closer look at all the equipment today I started wondering:
1. Serial no. at the package box shows CN-HCCBK110K708 and a sticker 'i14T Sund - landed: 12/23/2007' - on my opinion that would be a 2008 model, produced in November 2007....
2. As I thought the boat to be a 2009 one and according to the shape of the drum part, the drive looked like a V2 to me (also cable holes are slotted), but the sprockets are the ones with a set screw (besides, I ordered the wrong St Turbo Set then...- I have to cancel that order at least!). Could it be that my drive is a mixture of V2 and older parts or are just the inflatable's drives something different?

So I think I paid the normal price for out-of-date material...... :-( :-( :-(
I'm so frustrated, I'm thinking 'bout bringing the whole package (boat and everything) back to the dealer, telling him to order me a new 2009 (but maybe it will be weeks 'til they get an updated one) or just to say 'forget it, I want my money back'......
So let's focus on some questions maybe Matt can answer:
1. Is there any difference between a 2008 model i14t and a 2009 i14t?
2. What happens in case of warranty concerns?
3. Is the only difference between my drive and an up-to-date V2 the sprockets?
4. If yes, is it really neccessary to get the new sprockets (especially if you want to use St Turbo Fins)?
5. What would you recommend to do? Go for a new one (boat and drive)? Go only for new drives? Go only for new sprockets? Leave everything as it is?
Comments would really be appreciated...

Bye
Ralf

p.s. I've just seen at another box label that the local dealer got the package april 2009 from Hobie Europe, so maybe the dealer is not to blame for selling old materal but Hobie Europe.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Warranty is based on purchase date, not serial number / model year.

If it is a current model year... it should have V2 drums, sprockets and threaded masts.

The only difference in model year for the inflatables is the accessories they come with. There have been no changes to the base hull. The base hull is purchased in bulk production runs. We change Drive components, seat, paddle to change the boat at "model year". The end serial number / model year is based on the final package. There is always a lag at model year in manufacturing. Model year numbering starts early the year or so before. New car models are often introduced 6-10 month early, so that means they are manufactured and packaged in the year prior. Components have to be built far before that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TX Matt for your quick reply, I really appreciate that!
I know about the coherence between model year and manufacturing and accept this fact,
but that doesn't really answer the most important question for me:
Do I have to insist at least on the new sprockets because they really are a quality improvement to the drive (although I don't know that by experience) or should I stay with the old ones?

As I interpret your answer, there could be a difference between the rest of the accessories of model year 2008 to 2009, (maybe seats or paddles), too. I think I can accept that, but regarding the drive I want the best quality version - and on my opinion that should be a complete V2 version drive. Am I right?

Bye
Ralf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

The latest sprockets and threaded masts are very good. These became available in the 2009 model year boats. If you can determine that the boat is a 2009, I would be happy to supply these at no charge. If not... it is not an expensive upgrade.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

thanks for your kind offer - as I bought the boat this week and as it's a brand new one, please send the parts ;-) ;-) ;-)

I really would like to be able to declare the boat to be a 2009, but the problem is - as it seems by now - that even my dealer will think the boat is a 2009. He got the package as it is labeled from Hobie-Europe in April 2009 and I think his knowledge of the hobie products, their upgrades and development is not so good as it should be. I myself only recognized afterwards (TX to this forum) by checking the serial no. HCCBK110K708 (K7 should be November 2007, or?) and the 'old' sprockets that it is a 2007 production 2008 model. Even if the upgrade is not so expensive (I think must be 2x art.no. 81129022 for the tandem - correct me please if not) I would not like to pay it by myself as I thought I would get a 2009 boat (and also payed a 2009 price) and nobody told me something else.....

As I wrote in the thread-title, it's frustrating - one moment you really are happy, are excited, glad and everything about the new boat and then ... uups, you just recognize that you haven't got what you think you have payed for. I'm just a normal guy and to buy such a boat took a lot of money from my and my wife's account and so we just want to be happy with it for a long time..... AND AFTER THIS LITTLE LETDOWN, WE BELIEVE WE WILL!!

Bye
Ralf