Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, I am considering a PA and wonder how you are toting them around? I am 66 and in reasonably good heath, but it weighs 88 pounds dry, and I'm wondering about getting it up on my pickup camper topper? One dealer told me I'd need a trailer for the PA. What do you think? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron take a look 7 post down. Many people are car topping and loading them in there trucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I modified my small utility trailer to carry a kayak. I designed the modification for my Outback and it works fine for the PA too. It's the 4x7 foot utility trailer they sell at Tractor Supply. It has a regular, drive-on ramp/tailgate like most of these trailers but I added the ability to drop in a cross bar that runs about 4 or 5 feet forward of the ramp/tailgate for carrying the boat. The height of the cross bar is even with the top of the closed tailgate. So with the tailgate closed up the boat rests on top the tailgate and the cross bar. I like the set up because we use that trailer to haul our camping gear too. I can load the trailer full of camping equipment and firewood and put the Kayak on top and we're set. I use pool noodles zip-tied to the tailgate and crossbar to cushion the boat (although I'm looking for a more durable material). I'll post pics the next time I load it up.

I haven't tried loading my PA on anything as high as a camper topper yet so I can't really comment on it. But the boat is heavy enough that I'd be a little concerned too (and I'm almost 20 years your junior). Hobie has a video on the Pro Angler web page (bottom of the page) that shows how to do a car top load (it's actually a pickup topper). It looks real easy on the video so it may just be a matter of technique.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron, I am using a 1/4 ton Bantam Jeep trailer that is about the same age as you are. it has two crossbars and I have Yakima Mako saddles on the bars to support the PA. I tried hauling the PA on just the crossbars and it put some big creases in the parts of the boat that contacted the bars. so far I have had my son with me to help me load and unload the PA (I also have either a Hobie Sport or Hobie Outback on top of the PA).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:02 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Ron, welcome to the forum.

If you can lift 60# over your head it's surprisingly simple. You can get an extender for your rack system to place a roller right over the back edge of your topper.

Lift one end up and place it on your rack (or extender):

There are replaceable skid plates on the stern to keep it from slipping:

Then pick up the stern lift handle and shove it forward:

The boat has 88# of plastic in it, but weighs 102# bare. As shown here (with removable seat) it is 117#. The trays and other accessories have been removed. Of course you never half to lift more than half the boat at once.

I had my doubts until I tried it -- found it was not a struggle at all. It rides well on top. Although it weighs more, I honestly find the PA just as easy to load overhead as the other kayaks. The advantage to this method is you don't need a launch ramp or vehicular access to the water. 8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With the stern being square it is easier to deal with than most yaks of lighter weight. It doesn't wobble from side to side with the bow lifted. Skid plates, another great idea from Hobie and more stability for loading and unloading. The grab handles are soild and don't allow the boat to swing freely as do other carry handle configurations thus making it easier to deal with. Make sure you buy the proper cart with the longer scupper posts. Again this makes the PA a breeze. If you get a PA and its Hobie accessories you won't have a problem. Hobie products are very well thought out and executed with supreme quality. You won't find a better made product.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, you guys have convinced me...I'm on my way to KC to my closest dealer. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How about getting on and off? Is there a trick to it? Would you feel comfortable in the open ocean...or bay...large water?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a bed extender for my pick up. It keeps you from having to lift the PA up so high. I am very happy with it. I will post pics soon. By the way I have a short bed on my truck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, guys, I am officially a PA owner. I've been in the water twice now, and feel pretty comfortable.
I watched the video on getting in the boat in the water..deep water, and tried to do the same..."not". I pitched my pooch off the back and would have turned it over had I continued to try to get in over the cockpit as the video shows. However; necessity is the mother of invention it is said, so I went to the stern and pulled myself up on the boat (had to push the pooch aside after having retrieved him first, to get enough room:-), but because of the stability of the boat that way, was able to re board. As I have mentioned earlier, I am nearly 66 and my body does not have the strength that it did when I was much younger, and I think the problem of getting in over the cockpit is a lack of upper body strength? Any comments?
On a completely different subject, I need some help to know what to buy in the line of a fish/depth finder. Any suggestions there?
Oh and I am loading the yak as you lovingly refer to the craft into the bed of my Mazda b2500 (ford ranger), and even though a lot is sticking out, I feel like this is the way to handle it for now, and safely I might add.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

congratulations Ron!
I just bought a humminbird 383C FF for my PA. someone is making me an adaptor mount that will fit in the mast holder and I will have to send the transducer back to Humminbird to swap for a through the hull unit. might have to rethink the mast holder mount if I get a sail for it.
I mounted two Scotty brand rail clamp rod holders to each side rail towards the front but I will remount them towards the rear of the rails for more clearance when I paddle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You made a good decision. check out the company Darby industries. I think you will like the bed extender. I find it very easy to use. :D
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

As long as you have a compact truck with a 6' bed or more (shown), you probably don't need a bed extender...

but it's a great option -- would probably be mandatory with a 5' bed.

If you have a PU bed available, all you have to do with the Pro Angler is roll it up. set the bow on the extender or tail gate, and shove -- not much lifting at all. Put the wheels in before removing the boat and it rolls right off. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just looked at the humminbird 383c, and that one is a little out of my league I think. How are you powering it? What kind and size of battery? What is a thru the hull transducer?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron Papworth wrote:
I just looked at the humminbird 383c, and that one is a little out of my league I think. How are you powering it? What kind and size of battery? What is a thru the hull transducer?

I mainly bought the 383C so I can have GPS and a FF in the same unit so I don't have to take a handheld GPS along (more stuff to loose!) I am powering it off a small 12 volt battery, the battery is probably 3" tall by 6" long and 3" wide. a through the hull transducer sits inside the yak and shoots through the hull so no holes to drill. I am using a side imaging sonar on my 15' aluminum boat, that FF price makes the 383C price seem downright cheap! humminbird makes a very inexpensive (under 100.00 on sale) piranhaMAX model that might work ok for you.