Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took out a newbie to kayaking on my PA today, while I was in the HobieSport. It's been a while since I was in my old kayak, feels like more work now...the PA sort of pampers you with comfort and room. It's always fun to catch fish, but passing on the knowledge is key...especially showing someone the ropes for the first time. Bringing out new people isn't all that new for me, but this guy caught on near immediately. Not new to fishing, like the lot of us; the transformation over to the kayak requires new physics...this lad has it downpat.
We fished some backwaters for fluke, but my main goal was to show him how to use the kayak...I guess Hobie makes it easy or this mans's a natural.
Bob M fills the PA nicely at 6'4", and he was into fish on a steady pick...shorts that is. Not to complain, he was like a kid again.
My fish were unimportant, the day belongs to BOB; and his first keeper kayak fluke was a 3.5 #er!!!!!! Fishing the right tide,structure,and bait needless to say is important...but having confidence is key. Getting Bob off my kayak and to stop fishing today took some work, the man's HOOKED!!!!!
This is what sharing is all about.
When Bob made it back home from fishing with me, he ordered the new PA before the wheels could stop...the man's jumping into the kayak game first rate. kudos to those that can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hobie makes it easy...almost to easy. MJ.

Here's Bob working the net.

Bob makes this 3.5 #er look small ...it was a beautiful fluke.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great story and pics, I like introducing people to our sport as well. I got one of my buddies hooked and he bought an 08 Outback at my suggestion. I pedaled his and knew at that moment I wanted a Mirage boat. My PA looks like yours (same color) except I have just done a basic rig on mine. I have consulted your posts several times as yours is as rigged a PA as I have seen. I feel sure your friend will get some good rigging advice!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the PA after the spring striper run, although it's rigged for big fish. If I can master the steering issue I'll be bringing up to the New England fishing shootout in two weeks. I love the PA, it's the steering issue which still needs to be ironed out. My Sport will be at my side for the shootout, it's been battle tested in all sorts of conditions. I need this trip more than words can say. To toss a custom plug to a willing striper is heaven on earth, pictures will follow in whatever Hobie I'm sitting in. It should be fun first and formost. MJ.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 am 
Hobie Team Member

sifisto, see you at the Striper Shoot Out. Be sure to introduce yourself.