Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. I've pretty much decided to buy a Wave to introduce my three kids (12, 14, and 16yrs) to sailing. We sailed Waves in the Bahamas a year ago, and my 14 yr old son, in particular, fell in love with them. I've done a fair amount of sailing since the '70's on large monohulls, a Crowther 40' racing tri, and, for the last 20 yrs, have been windsurfing on shortboards here in California. Unfortunately, I have neither a driveway nor yard access here at my house in Los Angeles, and am not fond of the idea of storing a catamaran on its trailer parked on the street. So the idea of a cat which can be broken down, car topped on my F-150, and carried into the yard and stored is a winner for me. I have a few questions for you present Wave owners, and if you could help me out, I'd be very grateful.
Are there significant differences in Waves produced in different years? Is there a real reason for stretching a little more to buy one of the new models? How realistic is my plan to car top the cat (I know that Hobie says that this model is designed for that purpose, but is it practical?) Again, thanks for any info, and I'll hopefully meet some of you out on the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a Wave and sailed it for a week at the beach - what a blast. I bought a new one because I didn't want to spend ANY time fixing anything - I wanted to sail. I don't think breaking down and setting up a Wave is what you want to be doing - you want to load up and SAIL! Maybe you could find somewhere to store the boat at a reasonable price. I've had boats in the past that required substantial rigging and they are no fun. You want to spend you time having fun sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I, too, am new to the Wave. Bought one last last summer after thoroughly enjoying the experience on an Mexican vacation.

Where I live the water turns very hard in the Winter season. It took less than five minutes to take off the rudders and mast. My daughter and I carried the hull into my garage and stored it on it's side for the winter. We hung the mast from the rafters.

In Spring, we carried it out and had it ready to sail in five minutes. Taking it apart to store in your yard should not be a concern.

Have fun with it. I only wish I did it earlier with the family. A lot cheaper than soccer tournaments and ski racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Peter, I bought my Wave last OCt. and I love it. My wife, kids and grandkids love it also. I have a 2003 Club model and I car top it. It takes a little longer to set up than the sport model and lacks cup holders, but it can be done. I have carried it in the back of my pick up and car topped it on my Suburban, (I built a trailer also). No problems so far. I would suggest that you invest in a plastic storage box with a lockable lid and store all of the parts in there. (Make sure ropes are dry of course) My box holds all the rigging, ropes, some tools and I keep my reg. card and a copy of the assembly instructions in a zip lock baggie. The hulls go on top and tie down front and back, bows forward, well padded. Everything else goes in to my camping trailer. No problems! Enjoy!

Post subject: Bought one!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, everybody, for your helpful replies. I decided to bite the bullet, and bought a new one yesterday, and spent yesterday afternoon and this morning setting it up in the yard. I put both hulls and the lower mast section on top of the camper shell on my Yakimas , and everything else fit inside the shell. Now I just need a free day to truck it to the beach and take off! Now the real fun begins. Thanks again.