Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MI - Grand haven launch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if anyone has gone sailing in grand haven? My girlfreind lives there and it looks like a great place to go sailing and I just want to know what restrictions if any they have about launching from the beach and where I can launch from?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SonofaSailor wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has gone sailing in grand haven? My girlfreind lives there and it looks like a great place to go sailing and I just want to know what restrictions if any they have about launching from the beach and where I can launch from?

I'd like to know this too. You could always launch in spring lake somewhere and mabye have someone tow you out. I was at a small access point just south of the beach this weekend, and there were Hobie's up and down the beach (private beaches).

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was there for the 4th without my boat and when i was driving around I saw a guy trailoring a hobie so i pulled up next to him and asked where he was launching it from. He said he carried to the beach and then dragged it down away from the crowds. Unfortuanatly i pulled up next to him on that road next to the beach so there were cars waiting to go bye so I have to move and I didnt get much information. I think i might try that this weekend or next but then my next question is where do i park the trailor. I could always take it back to my girlfreinds who only lives a few blocks away but it would be nicer to have somthing worked out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

allright how about the state parks in muskegon? or Hoffmaster does anyone know if they will allow you to launch a boat from the beach here

Post subject: Muskegon Launch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have launched my Hobie on the south side of the Muskegon Channel, Lake MI side. Just bring your cat tracks. I did this during the week, good luck finding a place to park on weekends unless your real early.

I don't really know of anywhere in Grand Haven to launch unless its at the ramp. You will need a paddle or tow, about 2 miles.

Port Sheldon has a ramp, no beach. Holland has a ramp & rocky beach at the Lake Mac DNR ramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We lanched out of Port Sheldon last year once, just asked a powerboater for a tow out, they were great about it. We sailed all the way back to the dock on the way back in. It was early in the year and the water was COLD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry to dig up an old post but to answer the original posters question the Ottawa county parks people will let you launch from North Shore Beach right on the big lake just as long as you park with your trailer all the way at the end of the parking lot.

Also, the reason I dug this up was because I would really like to get in touch with other Hobie folks in the area. I just bought a 88' hobie 16 this past weekend and I think it would be fun to sail with others. Maybe even do a little informal racing.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lots of guys sailing beach cats at Muskegon. Both on the small and big lake. If you've got a trailer, it's probably worth the short trip up the road.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats where I usually sail out of these days. I have actually been trying to work with the people up there to revive the fleet and regular races up there so if your interested I would like to get in contact.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD