Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When we came back from our 'peddle'-trip today and I opened the front hatch before deflating the boat, I noticed a lot of water in the bow compartment - maybe 2 ltrs. My wife sweared that she had closed the hatch thoroughly before we departed. Do I have to look for a leak or where could the water be from? We didn't have bad conditions with water coming overboard, it was just a sunny day with only a few small wind-waves.
Besides, it was our first trip with the ST Turbo Finns and the large rudder. I can really recommend it: Speed does increase a lot and steering is much better - but also your legs have to work harder!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i do also have some water coming in although not 2 liters.

Last week i noticed 2 small cracks in the plastic around the hatch, they are located where this black plastic part joins the kayak, one on each side. No air leaking of course but water can definitely come in and end up inside the hatch. I think the kids sat on top of the hatch and it cracked, not sure. I'll probably put some epoxy or silicon to close the crack. The solidity of the hatch is not really affected.

Hugues
from Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

The forward hatch area is connected to the "bilge" where water can accumulate. Try again with the hatch sealed. If water is once again present after use, it is possible there is a small leak in the bottom material allowing water into the bilge area or water is passing from the cockpit and down. A leak test might locate the area for possible repair. Contact your dealer for help if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@matt:
You wrote 'or water is passing from the cockpit and down' - is that possible without a leak in the material?

To test for a leak in the bottom material, I thought about inflating the boat, puting it up on maybe three or four woodstands and then carefully fill the bilge with water through the hatch - can you recommend that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 am 
Site Admin

I would use a small amount of pressure into the forward drain hole to slightly pressurize the bilge area. Use soapy water to see where air escapes. That is far easier and safer. Yes, you could have a leak between the pieces that is not a pressurized chamber leak.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found my leak today! Just in front of the hatch, where several layers of the pvc come together, left side, there it is. I inflated the boot and watered the top side carefully with a water hose, beginning at the hatch. Then I suddenly saw the water in the bow compartment. With a small mirror I looked inside the bilge and saw the water running down at the tube just under the front of the hatch.
Tried to contact my dealer, what do to - and was lucky: He had another one in stock and so I just switched them (made it just in time to the shop before they closed for the day; unfortunately the new boat is also still a 2008 modell, manufactured 2007). Looking forward to another 'peddle-trip!