Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now, I've been sailing a while and can't help but notice that bows on boats slope aft from top to bottom not the other way around. I know these are wave piercing hulls so the shape is not designed to push water in the same way as a monohull's hull for instance but even the fox's and the fx-one's hulls are vertical. I was wondering why the sudden chance? what is the advantage? what is it designed to do? and how does it work?

thanx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Both the Fox and FX-One have reverse bows:

The shape of the bow is partially the result of it being wider at the bottom than at the top. This "upside-down" bow shape has its the widest beam at waterline level. In light conditions the boat is wave piercing, whereas in stronger winds the crew places their weight further backwards and the boat starts to plane. In contrast to boats with traditional V-shaped cross sections, the boat stabilizes itself at higher speed due to dynamic lift, reducing pitching. Less pitching leads to a more regular airflow around the rig – especially in the upper part – and increases the efficiency of the rig.