Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

About a week ago, I finally purchased a brand new Hobie Getaway. I have been wanting to get a Hobie since I went on one with a friend 12 years ago. Well, today was the first day out and I have to say, I HAVE NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN IN MY LIFE!!! I was out the whole day long. I didn't want to come into shore. In fact, as I write this, I am still grinning like a fool. :D I have blisters on my hands, sunburnt beyond recgonition, and a little sea sick (I know, I'm a lightweight) and I can't wait to do it all again this weekend.

I am not sure why I am writing in this forum, I don't have a question or need any help. I guess I just had to tell everyone how I feel. Which is FANTASTIC!

Scott ripping it up on Lake Champlain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Welcome! I am still a newbie too. Bought a Getaway at the end of last season and have only had it out three times. Still a lot to learn but a fairly easy boat to sail. Lots of fun and room.

The second time out the wind was in the high teens and I had 3 crew on board. My hands started cramping from holding the sheets and tiller. I can empathise with the blisters.

Did you get the wings? They are cool, and offer some comfort.

All the best - keep us posted.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I did get the wings, I see now they are a great asset :wink: ..... I went out again today (Sat) and had a blast. The winds were much stronger today and there were larger waves. I can't believe how stable the getaway is! I am really impressed with how it will get up and go, and I had 2 friends with me who were pretty big too. The boat is working great so far.

I do have a few questions though. first, the mast ball seems to creak loudly as the mast pivots from side to side. Should I lubricate that in some way, or let it be? I remember there was some sort of teflon insert on the hobie 16 that reduced friction, maybe there is something for the getaway? Also, the cooler/storage compartment is far from watertight. It does have a sticker stating that is isn't, but after two hours of sailing, there seems to be a lot of water in them. There goes my tuna fish sandwich and chips(note to self: ziplock bags next time dummy). I think water may be coming in through the very top of the lid where you grab the handle to open it? Has anyone fixed that problem? And the last gripe (these are very minor I know) is, RING DINGS. Are these the worst creations ever made? I can raise the mast, hoist the sail, and read a book faster than I can get these things on and off!

Scott from Lake Champlain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:08 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Quote:
And the last gripe (these are very minor I know) is, RING DINGS. Are these the worst creations ever made? I can raise the mast, hoist the sail, and read a book faster than I can get these things on and off!

You should only need to mess with 2 ring dings when raising and stepping the mast, the forstay and then on one side stay. Get quick release pins everywhere else, they are worth there weight in gold!!!! You only need to purchase 2, one for the main traveler and one for the hiking stick. I would recommend part number 20301 for the traveler, retails for $18.16, and part number 20304 for the hot stick, yes a hot stick will make sailing easier on the hands, retails for $14.10 and the hot stick is either a FX4 or FX6, I believe the FX4 will be long enough with the wings but I'm not 100% on this, they sell for $113 & $118. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scott,

For the mast rotation squeak I put a smear of anti-sieze in the cup and it seems to have cured the problem - I was hoping sunjammer would have a recommendation about the teflon inserts. Anti-sieze is used for keeping threads from rusting up in extreme conditions. You can purchase it at any auto store. The down side is that it could be messy if you rub up against the ball aftert he mast is down. But I don't think it will wash out - still testing this but so far so good - A quick temp fix is the sail coat lubricant sprayed up in the cup - but it doesn' t last more than about one good trip.

I LOL when I read about your coolers - we did the same thing - wet sandwiches etc. There is a fix for the coolers that is posted on the hobie site, I haven't tried it yet (add a screw to the front of the cooler and loosen up the corners - I did try some door sealer (tape) around the lid top - figured that would do it - but it was not the solution.

Ring Dings - I am with you - on that too - I call them Jesus rings - because that is usually the word that is uttered while trying to put them on or find them in the grass. I do like the rings that go concentrically tighter, much easier to install than the true split rings. I deal with three rings - mast pin, forestay and at least one shroud - depending on how much rake I am interested in trying that day. I leave everything else assembled between trips.

Chuck