Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 17' vs 16' model
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi everyone,
i am new to these forums and getting close to buying a used hobie cat. im looking at either a 16 or 17 foot model. although i am interested in racing i am also looking to cruise as i live very close to a sandbar and enjoy spending my sundays there.
basically i have an offer for both a 16 and 17 foot hobie and was wondering what people though about them when compared side by side. it seems that the 16' is a little more sporty as it is lighter but that the 17' model can have its wings taken off to make it lighter and therefore faster. has anyone had the pleasure of riding both and if so which did they prefer and which do you think i would prefer?
i know this is vague but the offers run out soon and i wanna get on the water asap.
thanks everyone!! :D

Post subject: Re: 17' vs 16' model
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jbhawaii, I sailed a H16 for 20 years before buying my current boat, a H17Sport, in 2002. For on/off beach sailing, through surf, with 2 people, the H16 is hard to beat, (no centerboards/swing keels to deal with, tramp high off the water and a large weight capacity). On the otherhand, the H17Sport is a faster boat and great in high wind with much less tendency to pitchpole. Taking the wings off the H17 would only make it faster in very light wind because hikingout/traping off the wings give much more counter leverage against the wind and hense speed. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so taking off the wings is actually a disadvantage huh? if it didnt have any would the boat still be faster than a 16?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With equal crew weights and sailing skills the H17Sport, even without the wings (but I love my wings), should still be faster than a H16 due to the more efficient hull shape (symmetrical w/centerboard vs. asymmetrical rocker). 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the regular h17 has a jib kit attached is it effectively the same as an h17 sport?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it comes down to weather you want a two person boat or a solo boat! They added the jib to the 17 so you could move if you have two people on it. the speed rating is very close to each other! I have both and they both have their advantages! If the thrill is what your after, trapping off the wings in a blow is hard to beat!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
I have a modified HC17 "Turbo". I liked the wings from the beginning as they are quite comfortable when doing some lazy sailing. However, a very experienced sailing friend had an idea on that the boat would get faster (even in harder winds) without the wings. This as when you trap on the wings you "press" the boat down in the water (kind of). Without the wings you have the advantages of 1) a lighter boat 2) you can walk more faster back and forward to utilize a more efficient weight balance and 3) you do no press the hulls so hard down in the water, instead you get more power forward = going faster. I removed the wings and yes! In my opinion my friend was right, the boat is more faster now and I have no problem trapezing on the hull in hard winds.
Have a Hobie day / Hans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPRagth5aRQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another difference is the boomlet (sport) vs full boom (SE). With a second person on the boat it is much easier to get from side to side with the boomlet. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want the best of both worlds the FXone is a good option. Good singlehander, really good two up if the total crew weight is around 275#'s.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hanswahlquist wrote:
Hi
I have a modified HC17 "Turbo". I liked the wings from the beginning as they are quite comfortable when doing some lazy sailing. However, a very experienced sailing friend had an idea on that the boat would get faster (even in harder winds) without the wings. This as when you trap on the wings you "press" the boat down in the water (kind of). Without the wings you have the advantages of 1) a lighter boat 2) you can walk more faster back and forward to utilize a more efficient weight balance and 3) you do no press the hulls so hard down in the water, instead you get more power forward = going faster. I removed the wings and yes! In my opinion my friend was right, the boat is more faster now and I have no problem trapezing on the hull in hard winds.
Have a Hobie day / Hans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPRagth5aRQ

Plus, with the wings, with waves, the wing you aren't standing on can catch water, which will slow you down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but in any wind above a very light breeze, a skipper on the wing will be faster. With the weight further out, more optimum sail shape can be utilized. More importantly, the ability to balance the boat from the wing is much superior to being on the hull--and you don't have to move as far. And for the drag from the wing supports, if you've got it up that high, you're not forward enough and your sail trim needs to be adjusted, like maybe letting out the traveler. I can keep a 17 flat in the heaviest of winds sitting on the wing, but my fellow 17ers just walk me trapping out. Not even close.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

FX293 wrote:
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but in any wind above a very light breeze, a skipper on the wing will be faster. With the weight further out, more optimum sail shape can be utilized. More importantly, the ability to balance the boat from the wing is much superior to being on the hull--and you don't have to move as far. And for the drag from the wing supports, if you've got it up that high, you're not forward enough and your sail trim needs to be adjusted, like maybe letting out the traveler. I can keep a 17 flat in the heaviest of winds sitting on the wing, but my fellow 17ers just walk me trapping out. Not even close.

+1

The 17 was made to sail with the wings.
I can't imagine sailing it without. The hulls are too low in the water to trap off of without getting wiped off by a passing wave.