Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That was my question. As the mild-mannered 18 magnum, it's a comfortable vessel with so much room it exudes a sense of security, enough to take a young child or grandmama along and enough power available even with four aboard to give an impressive ride (and those clever steps to get back on the dock).

Today the wings came off, grip tape went on. 13-14 mph and gusty, 2 to 3 foot chop. Why did Hobie stop making this boat? I've owned and raced a 16 for a long time. I now have experienced what put those weird grins on the 18 sailors face :lol: Let 'er rip Baby! After getting parallel with the hull three times, my son spent the rest of his wire time with that weird grin on his face. While he rested it was my turn to trap. For the first time, I was able to truly see this boat in action. After an hour or so of practicing tacking and trapezing (all upwind), we broad reached all the way back down the lake, rudders howlin' like crazy, people waving and hootin'.

If you have a Magnum or SX, even if you never plan to race or even trapeze for that matter, you have got to experience this boat as it was originally designed, at least once.

Tomorrows forecast, 17-18mph and gusty. A little SPF 35 and...no wings, doulble trappin'. I love this boat. :D

Post subject: Wings
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waiting for a few parts to install the Magnum wings but a friend of mine stated that "wings are the way to go" very comfortable. I plan to cruise with the wings and remove them when racing. Looking forward to trapping off the wings someday.

Post subject: wings and things
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wings add a totally new dimesion of comfort and excitement. I have a 17 with wings but I imagine you would feel much the same way with wings on the 18.

You can sit on the wing with feet on the hull, you can sit on the hull with your back against the wing. you can stretch out on the wing and catch some rays. BUT the best is when you are trapped out standing on a wing and flying a hull. Do you realize how high your head is above the water ? :o As I told my wife "I can see our house from here" :lol: It is REALLY cool 8)

Sail hard, sail fast - have a hobie day!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So for trap work off the wing, how do you set up your trapeze?

:?:
Do you make longer (than 2.5 ft) trap adjusment lines? I hope so, I'm not thrilled about over stretching the trap shock cord.

And line under or over the wing?

Post subject: Shock cord length
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi John,
I'm not really sure how much you'd add but figure the wing extends your trapped out length by about two feet or so. I suggest the Olympic style trap adjustment. It has a couple small blocks, one with a jam cleat, and solid rope adjustment.
I run my trap outside the wings. I think most people run then inside the wings. The inconvenient part of running them outside the wing is that you need to get your leg around it and then the line is running up your crotch. (Sorry, there is no delicate way to put that :oops: ) BUT I think it works better for the push off, it pulls you more towards the wing and less towards the hull, and it is way out of your way when you are not using it.

Try it both ways. You can add onto your existing shock cord without replacing the whole thing.

Good luck again, have fun. Let us know how you like it....

-Stephen