Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Opinions - ? ? ?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've narrowed my selection down to two Kayaks: The Pro Angler and the Revolution.

I'm 6'0 - 200lbs and will be fishing primarily the flats on the Texas Gulf coast. However, the ability to go BTB is intriguing to me. Here's how I'm looking at it:

Pro Angler

Pros
Purpose built (everything perfectly thought out for fishing)
- Dry seat
- Rod Storage
- Plano storage / cutting board
The ability to truly stand up and sight cast.
Turbo Fins
Cons
Heavy
How does the hull perform BTB?
Wide (how would this work for paddling???)

Revolution

Pros
Sleek
Light
Would handle BTB better (question)

Cons
Less stable
More rigging required to fish?
No turbo fins

Miss anything???

I would say that 75% of my fishing would be in the flats. I've talked to a few folks around here and a couple of guides who think the Mirage drive is not a good fit for the flats (not enough depth for the mirage drive). I think they may simply be purists :D

Any input from those who have either model would be GREATLY appreciated. Of course in a perfect world would be to have one of each - I'mnot in a position to do that though (yet)

Last edited by Jory on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fish the flats in Florida where their is no sand for 50 miles. Its all limestone or oyster bed bottom. The mirage drive is no problem as long as you have any a least a foot visability. You can short stroke over shallow areas without a problem. When the visability goes to "0", I just pull the drive and paddle. I got the Adventure because it's a few of miles to the flats and it was better for me as I would like to take some long trips with it also.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply.

I'm definitely going to get a Mirage Drive - hell or high water (or low in this case).

My question is really around the my perceived drawbacks of the PA.

1) When the water does get shallow - really how much of a drag will it be to paddle the WIDE Pro Angler? Hell, wouldn't it be easy to just stand and pole it around????

2) When I do take it BtB, will it be THAT much worse in the rougher stuff than the Revo???

Appreciate folks giving me some feedback.

Jory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you thought about the Outback SUV? I'm 6'0 ft, 230 lbs and I have an Outback that I fish all over here in Michigan. I like it because I have two rod holders in front of me and two behind. It is incredibly stable and with the turbo fins, I can keep right up with a guy who has the Revolution. In my opinion, the Pro Angler is an awesome fishing boat but not only is it so heavy, I think you would need a trailer to haul it around. I can go in pretty shallow water, but I have bent the rods on the fins on logs in rivers and sandbars. Good luck on your decision.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:55 am 
Hobie Team Member

I haven't had much opportunity to get the PA to the coast (just once in a harbor). My usage is mainly on lakes and ponds. Not being familiar with BTB either, I'll jot down some observations.

I love the layout for fishing. Being able to lay the rods down out of the way gives complete range of casting without worrying about hitting / snagging / breaking one.

Tackle storage is great! Most of what I bring resides in the center hatch, out of the way but easy to reach.

I haven't permanently mounted anything yet and only desire a rod holder up front. It would be used to hold the rod while rigging mostly. I'm running a portable fish finder and simply set it on the floor for now.

Haven't done much paddling because the maneuverability is fantastic. With very little planning, I can get in and out of small coves quite easily. Most times out, I never touch a paddle. I do keep half a paddle with the T handle ready, just in case. I would imagine a push pole being the way to go on the flats if it's very shallow. Feathering the fins works quite well too.

Having a lot of free board, the wind can get pushy. However, spray from chop seems to have a hard time reaching you.

If I were planning an offshore trip covering many miles, I might opt to bring my Adventure...but that's me. For flats fishing, I would go with the PA, the layout is great for standing comfortably. I've done it on a slow moving river where covering a lot of ground without pedaling or paddling was possible. It's helpful when you can spot deeper pockets or structure without getting too close. You don't miss as many opportunities when you can see more....again, that's me.

The PA and Revo are very different animals. Try them both, while considering YOUR needs / wants.

BTW, Car topping a PA is easier than I thought it would be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mewzoJOw ... re=channel

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 am 
Hobie Team Member

Jory - Where do you normally go? Suggest you contact Seaworthy Marine in Rockport and demo both.

I have a PA and have been all over the flats from Galveston to Corpus. The PA also paddles surprisingly well for its size.

My teamates have been surprised that I can travel in as shallow water as they can.

If you have any specific questions you can drop me a line.

Quit Wishin, Go Fishin and Take a Kid with You

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA fishing the flats around SW Florida. I absolutely love it. I can stand and pole no problem. Plenty of room to put gear. I put it in the back of a 5 1/2' pickup bed with a bed extender from Northern Tool ($99.00). I could not imagine having to put it on the roof of a vehicle all the time. I would definitle recommend the PA.

Good Luck
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a PA and a OB, both are 09 models. I tried the Revo and felt it was no where near as stable as the PA or the OB. the PA is set up for fishing, it is great to have room to store extra rods out of the way and not have them get broken or be in the way of casting. I have two Scotty rod holders mounted one to a side and also have an extra Scotty rod holder on the front of the rail to mount my Fishfinder on. no holes drilled anywhere to use the Scotty rod holders, they clamp to the rail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your replies have been fantastic. Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

It's looking more and more like I'll go with the PA. I simply love the standing stability and totally thought out fishing platform.

If it doesn't work so great BTB - well, then so be it. It does look like the California OEX guys may have theirs out in the ocean though.

Jory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own an 07 Outback and a Pro Angler. Most of my fishing is in freshwater, Florida rivers and lakes but I think I can contribute a couple points to consider. First, as you have already surmised, the PA is very purpose built for fishing. The big advantage is you can store a lot of gear and tackle within easy reach. With boats like the Outback and Revo you can only store a small amount of tackle within easy reach. Bigger items like tackle boxes and extra rods, in most cases, have to go behind your seat. While you can get to that stuff, it's not much fun. I always dread having to turn around to retrieve something in my Outback. A friend of mine, who also occasionally fishes from an Outback, says the same thing. I think you'd have the same issue in a Revo since the layout isn't much different. BTW, turning around to get something from the back of the PA is easy—not unpleasant at all.

The other thing is, if you fish long hours, the PA will probably be more comfortable. You can stand up if you want and make many minor but meaningful adjustments to your seating position in the PA because you have more room and a better seat. Over the course of several hours it's a less fatiguing experience.

I'm not knocking the other boats. I still like the OB and will probably continue to use it for short trips with less stuff. The OB with the sailing rudder is very responsive and tracks straight with little or no correction. I wished the PA did that.

Hope that helps some,
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mpd510 takes his ProAngler BTB all the time around High Island I think ...

Here's a video of MPD510 launching the ProAngler, It's the Papaya/mango (yellow) one which gets out there faster ... http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb55 ... 110028.flv

Two of many threads where he useds it BTB ... there are several others in Texas too, but he comes to mind first.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... =proangler
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... =proangler

MPD510 uses the ProAngler BTb; Rabbit uses an Outback to go to oil rigs BTB.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ninja wrote:
Jory - Where do you normally go? Suggest you contact Seaworthy Marine in Rockport and demo both.

I have a PA and have been all over the flats from Galveston to Corpus. The PA also paddles surprisingly well for its size.

My teamates have been surprised that I can travel in as shallow water as they can.

If you have any specific questions you can drop me a line.

Hey Ninja,

Just wondering, when you go shallow, do you usually pull the mirage,or do you leave the blades in but all the way up and paddle?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll chime in here. I've got Outbacks and the PA now. Love em both but have relegated myself to use the PA the most since I got it. I've only pulled the drive out when beaching. And at times I've not done that. But I won't grind it into the rocks. I'll pull it first. When I pull it, I make sure it's leashed. I've not found any water I'd normally be in that I couldn't tuck the fins up against the hull and make headway with a flutter kick. Amazing craft. With the new drum mod Hobie is sending out (and I'm still waiting for mine).... ahem.......... the tracking should improve quite a bit. The small diameter drum left a little to be desired on tracking. Good luck. You won't regret it. The wife goes with me in her own Outback and it's great not to see disappointment on her face because she can't keep up. She can go just as far and fast as I can with her Outback. It levels the playing field.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

well crap..... I hate that when it happens.... duplicate posts.... sri