Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, so it's been discussed a dozen times before but I need help.

I had decided I needed to glue my boat 'cos I noticed loads of flex in the hulls, particularly going upwind. I did it before on another H16 I owned and it brought us 5 places up on the fleet in the very next race so I reckon it's worth the effort.

I'd been lazy, putting off the job. Finally, it's forced upon me. We were out in 18 knots+, double trapping when the mast came down. The port hull bridle wire tang bolt pulled through the prow of the boat taking a chunk of fibreglass with it. I'm sure it was because of the pressure caused by the flexing hulls. We get ashore, sort ourselves out and tidy up the standing and running rigging. I removed the 4 corner casting bolts and spray each stanchion with WD40. Bottom line is, no matter what I do I can't disassemble the boat. Even though the hulls flex independenlty of each other it seems they've been epoxied before. The forward starboard and
port aft stanchions are rock solid.
My question....if I pour an epoxy mixture in the gap between the stanchions and the castings will that create a sufficiently strong bond?

I live in Dubai where the ambient daytime temp currently runs 44+ degrees. As I will have to work outdoors I reckon I should use a 209 hardener with the West System epoxy?? Any and all advice gratefully accepted.

TVM

Conor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is not quite an answer to your questions, but I do have experience with disassembling a previously epoxied frame. Before doing a bottom job, we heated the castings using a propane torch; you could hear the epoxy bubbling/melting. After a few minutes of heating and as I was moving the torch around, my father drove the casting up (2lb hammer hitting a 2x4 hitting the casting). The boat came apart as though it had never been epoxied. This may be an option, if you would like to start with fresh epoxy within the castings.

1983 - H14
1985 - H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jeffrey, if all else fails I'll try the blow torch option.

Regards
Conor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm... Once you started with the WD 40 you have to get the corner castings off. Using epoxy on this basis would probabely not bond well with anything?
Your alignment might be far off... so far that the pylons are jamed in some of the corner castings. Check with a tape messure to get the frame square. Once it is square use on of those no rebound rubber hammers. Worked for me. Oh I shimmed - do not like the permanet soulutin of epoxying.

Patrick