Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kind of hard to describe, but if you look at the bottom of my 2009 AI under where the mast support structure is you see two white/clear circles/plugs a little less than the size of a dime.

The front one on my boat has several cracks in it and I'm afraid it's gonna bust out soon and create a serious hole. The hull itself still seems good.

Anyone else seen this problem? Is it easy to fix?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Photo?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The caps themselves are just to cover the inserts n the hull. The cap part # is 38120031 (you can get them from any dealer)

Never seen them crack - they can get pulled off from a beach landing, but they are just a cosmetic cover - they don't hold water out or anything structural.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm getting more and more water in my hull after each trip. I'm starting to think it's related to this cracked cap. I took the cap off and it opens a hole that looks like something screws into from the inside of the hull. Also, the screw has to be attached to the hull somehow. Could it be the glue has given way and the cracked cap is letting water in?

Anyone know how this seal is made?

I don't notice any other cracks in the hull, I'm going to try and do a water test this week to see if I can see where water might leak out from the inside of the hull

JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The bolt holding the bottom of the mast cup is screwed into a brass insert molded into the hull. The plastic caps are just covers. When you do the "vacuum" test, use soapy water with a sponge to see where air escapes. Expect some out of the rudder handle and the front hatch, and a little out the rudder tubes and up/down pull tubes, but nowhere else (that I can remember). Unless you find a crack, any other leaks should be able to be stopped by tightening the screws or bolts.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
The bolt holding the bottom of the mast cup is screwed into a brass insert molded into the hull. The plastic caps are just covers. When you do the "vacuum" test, use soapy water with a sponge to see where air escapes. Expect some out of the rudder handle and the front hatch, and a little out the rudder tubes and up/down pull tubes, but nowhere else (that I can remember). Unless you find a crack, any other leaks should be able to be stopped by tightening the screws or bolts.

Good Luck

Thanks for the help! I found the culprit, looks like it's all related to the cracked cover. It was really bad today, I must of had two gallons at the end, and I bailed at least a gallon at sea. But that might be because the rudder pin popped and I had to lay out off the back to replace the pin, temporarily submerging the rudder line holes.

Look carefully and you can see a crack coming out from either side of the mast cup.

Close up of crack on the left side.

Close up of crack on the right side.

Cracks in the plastic cover. If you look carefully you can see stresses proceeding out from the cover in the hull, probably where the cracks are on the inside.

I put 3 cups of water in the hull and then watched for leaks around the cracked cap, look at this nice solid drip!
Anyone ever seen this before?

JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a video of it dripping.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quczoUxjH7Y[/youtube]

Approx 100s between drips.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Time to visit Lorraine...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Yep... see your dealer on this one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks to Hobie, Windward Boats and Valley Isle Marine I was able to get a new hull and fish the "Yak Off" kayak fishing tournament today and take 3rd! Caught a 17lb 10oz Ono (Wahoo), I'll post pics soon, but wanted to thank everyone for their quick resolution of my cracked hull!

JG