Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speeding up the Tandem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am curious :roll: has anyone tried to use both mirage drives with one person in a tandem Hobie Kayak? I have thought it would be a great work-out to have a system that would use the arms to work the front Mirage drive, while pedaling the rear mirage drive. But would you benefit from the extra effort or does the maximum hull speed get in the way? Has anybody got a system to make the front mirage drive work using the arms? I have a tandem on order. :lol:

Post subject: Hull Speed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I have thought it would be a great work-out to have a system that would use the arms to work the front Mirage drive, while pedaling the rear mirage drive.
If you want an overall workout, pedal and paddle at the same time. You can get another 1-2 mph by paddling. Concerning speed, kayak speed is limited by design. http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/hpb/hpbcalculator.asp
If Hobie would design an 18'-20' foot long, narrower Mirage (not with sailing capability), together with paddling and pedaling, it could give kayakers in Seda's and like racing kayaks a run for their money.