Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know it can be done - I'm just not sure how to do it.

Yesterday I single-handed with a friend in the water on a wakeboard. Couldn't pull him up. He's a small guy and we had moderate air - maybe 10-12 knots.

I stopped the boat in the wind while he jumped in the water, then headed down when he was ready.

The problem I encountered was that as soon as the tow line tensioned, the boat pulled up into the wind even as I fought the rudders.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

We tried all kinds of things - even tried doing a high-speed pass and having him grab the tow line as I sped by. That did little more than give him a big jolt!

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are you connecting the tow line? I have done this with me, 250lbs, on the boat and my crew, 210lbs, on the board. We were in a steady 20 kts. I tied the line off to the rear cross bar about 6" off center on the leeward side. I know this will interfere with the traveller but it seemed like the best idea.

It's alot of fun if you can get it to work. Good Luck

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Nick, tell me more about how you did it.

I tied a lilne between both rear posts, put a loop in the middle, and then attached a full-length ski-rope to the middle.

Did you head into the wind when you deployed your wakeboarder, then fall off and reach to pull him up?

Tell me the specifics!

Thanks,

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

uogecko wrote:
Hey Nick, tell me more about how you did it.

I tied a lilne between both rear posts, put a loop in the middle, and then attached a full-length ski-rope to the middle.

Did you head into the wind when you deployed your wakeboarder, then fall off and reach to pull him up?

Tell me the specifics!

Thanks,

G

When I did this as a kid with my dad (using a small surf board), we tied off like you and used about 30 feet of rope with a handle on it. When we came about (for the initial take off), I jumped off the Hobie, onto the surfboard, slid to the rear of the board and my dad gradually fell off until the line was taught and he was sure I was moving, then he sheeted in and we took off. I think I was about 130 lbs then. I made it onto my knees and tried getting on my feet, but the wind was not steady and I kept over compensating and falling.

After a day or two, we made straps for the surfboard that were big enough to lock your knees into, and just used the board that way. Lots of fun, but typically, pretty sore legs afterward.

CCMQ6749M82H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a really good idea using a rope off of the aft pylons. I'll have to try that next time (if I can find a brave enough crew member).

I was on Lake Champlain in the late morning so the waves were a foot or less. This probably made it much easier. Afer tying the line onto the boat, the boarder would get into the water and lay on the board. Up until this point I am in irons. I then sailed slowly on a reach (16's perform very well when reaching) until the slack was taken up and I was pulling the boarder. Then you warn the boarder, sheet in and fall off for maximum speed. It was not pretty the first few times. My buddy was a pretty good water skier which helped him compensate for any changes in boat speed. The small waves and the steady strong wind are a must.

I also think my "heavy air physique" :oops: didn't hurt.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Waterski behind a hobie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a link to some video that shows it can be done:
http://www.akawac.de/deutsch/toern_ber/gardasee2000/g2000.htm

Also, some hobie/wakeboarding action on this one:
http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/index.php?phototeque,videos

Let us know how you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You've got to try this - I just crawled home after 8 hours at the beach pulling surfboards around behind my '16. It doesn't even take much wind to get them up - if you can stand on a surfboard (which takes some balance) you can get up behind a '16 pretty easily.

It definiltey turned some heads!

I think that the wakeboard or water skiing really requires more wind because you have to drag them through the water and then up on to a plane whereas a surfboard with a person laying on it has very little drag to begin with.

I'll try to get some pictures - it's really awesome!!

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tie the ski rope to the rear post of the hobie, the one on the opposite side where you are siting, that will prevent de hobie going into the wind

if you are two on the hobie towing the skier it will be easier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The lago di garda video looks like the towing boat is a 16.
The older videos look like the towing boat is a hobie 18. Not sure if it is a wake board or a surf board that they are towing.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

no wakeboards existed at that time :wink: