Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The H21SE I just bought has 1 trapeze, but I have noticed in video on the internet that some of the boats have up to 3 trapeze setups. Whats the deal?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have three trapezes per side on my Hobie 21 SE and I installed three Di Kane foot straps on each wing to help out.
Bill 404 21 SE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just curious where on the wing? Outside edge onto fabric?

Also can you reommend a good hiking stick? I think my hotstick from the H16 is too short.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never saw any with more than 2 but I haven't looked at them in a long time. We used to race and with an all up crew weight, for me and my wife, of 285lbs. (had to add a little lead to meet minimum), we still had plenty of weight to handle the boat.

We also added two footstraps to the back of the wing. One as far back as you can get for the skipper's back foot and one a little ways in front (maybe 18" without measuring it) of that one for the crews back foot. Pam's back foot went inside my feet when we needed to use straps. You don't need them often, but when you are in sporty conditions they're awfully nice to have back there. The straps are riveted to the wing throught the fabric. I dont' know the exact angle. We just got on the wires and saw where we wanted them. I think they are a little below 45 degree angles up from vertical and sized for sailing shoes. I'd sail the boat for a while and notice where you'd like them. I don't think I ever saw any boat with the straps in the same place.

The 16 Hotstick is way too short. I don't remember the length but it is the longest one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom King wrote:
I never saw any with more than 2 but I haven't looked at them in a long time. We used to race and with an all up crew weight, for me and my wife, of 285lbs. (had to add a little lead to meet minimum), we still had plenty of weight to handle the boat.

It is a relief to know that you are were a light crew on the boat. I was told that the boat would be too much for us at 300lbs, but I figure if you know when to depower and BEFORE you get in trouble it should be okay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We also have thousands of hours of experience sailing anything that floats and some things that don't, so that might figure into the equation of weight too. Not bragging, just saying.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My boat had 2 traps when I got it, but with my kids and their freinds, I decided to add a third. They can all get out on the trap and have fun. So far I have only sailed twice in winds over 15 mph and therefore were only required to trap vs just trapping for fun. It also was easy to do as I just robbed the trap wire from my Tornado that I am restoring. The third wire is mainly used by me as the third is rigged near the rear of the boat. You also can depower the boat before you need to trap, but you will be sailing slow......