Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I own a Wave and thinking of going to a Bravo. Easier to rig, launch, etc. My weight is 185 lbs and wive 135 lbs. Will I miss my Wave ? I need good vibes from Bravo owners. I don't want to make a mistake that I'll regret for a long time. Help me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bravo is much easier to sail on the fly with the ease of set up. Weight wise I am 220 and wife 125 and we move fine in 6 knots or more. tough to get on a plane with the extra weight, but the roller furling aspect is great. We have a wave on the lake I sail on and it never goes out as it needs more wind than the bravo and when we have some fun races I beat it easily.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response. I have never sailed the Bravo but what you've told me is exactly why I thought I'd be happy with it. Wave is easy enough to rig but Bravo seems much better "on the fly " as you put it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good Question. I have owned a H16, Bravo, (both sold), and now a Wave and the (2)Adventure Islands. No one boat does it all. I loved the Bravo. Super easy to set-up and reefing main was great. I didn't even need a boat ramp for the Bravo, no waiting at the ramp for the fishermen to come and go... just get close and slide it in.

I think the choice has a lot to do with where you sail, and why you sail. In a light breeze the Wave is like sailing a couch - super stable, easy to find the groove, not lots to do but enjoy the scenery. In a bit more wind - the Bravo was like riding a bucking bronco, shifting your body weight made ALL the difference - a more active afternoon.

With two people - I definitely prefer the Wave. And of course, we've had 3 people and our labrador on the Wave and all were happy. I sailed the Bravo with two - but not more than an hour - and it did slow down a lot in light wind. I don't think I'd own a Bravo if I planned on sailing with company most of the time, solo it is a great little boat - and yeah - probably as fast as a Wave in average conditions.

As far as the AI's go - that's a whole new equation. Great to never worry about not having enough wind to get back. When two of us go - we often take the AI's, because then we both get to be the skipper, my sailing partners get bored on the Wave with nothing to do.

Just my two bits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your input. I check the site each day. Always interesting to see everyone's opinion. As I said earlier, I believe I'll stay with the Wave. I'm no longer a Spring Chicken. I love to go out and relax, enjoy the scenery as you put it. Is seens the Bravo would require to much of a balancing act,