Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail my AI as an Adventure with the standard Hobie 20 sqft sail a lot more than the fully rigged AI. To do this you need to make an adaptor using a mix of Hobie parts and off the shelf plumbing parts as detailed by Roadrunner here:
viewtopic.php?p=32421#32421
When swapping between the two modes (AI/Adventure) I have forgotten to take the adaptor with me a couple of times. :oops:
Frustrated at missing out on a nice sail because the adaptor was left behind I came up with this TEMPORARY fix which I now leave permanently in the hull. :)
Standard hollow section pool noodle fits nicely in the mast receiver. I use it to prevent the mast balls from falling out when the mast is not in the receiver while transporting.

Cut the noodle so that it is long enough to seat over the mast receiver pin and stick out by about 50mm. This makes it easy to remove the noodle.

Remove the plastic fitting from the end of the standard mast. The mast will now fit over the pin in the mast receiver and the noodle will hold it all in place. The sail can be bungeed in the standard way. (Ignore the furling fitting shown in the pic)

This is meant as a temporary alternative on post 08 models with the pin in the receiver.
It makes it harder to furl the sail and the long term effects of the aluminium mast on the mast pin are unknown. If you have a standard sail already this simple low tech adaption will allow you to experience sailing in Adventure only mode. You can then decide if you like it enough to order the Hobie parts and make the proper adaptor.
(I thought this may be of interest to you two, Skua and Skymax :wink:)