Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yet another great day out. We had 4 AI's on Lake Macquarie NSW Australia. CowsGoMoo, ChrisJ, Slaughter and Stringy launched from Rathmines on the western side of the lake and sailed to Marks Point where we stopped on the island at the entrance to Swan Bay.
After a short stay we headed off to Wangi Wangi for a BBQ lunch and beer, then onto Pulbah Island. We circumnavigated the island and headed back as the breeze picked up a little, forcing us to tack into it to get home. Returned to Rathmines as the light was fading....

We were expecting 10-15 knot winds but they didn't eventuate so the Mirage Drives got another good work out. Ironicly Sunday and today have been nice and windy....

Here's a map of our trip (edit: got my GPS track tidied up. Seems we covered 27.8 Km (17.3 miles). -

Stringy and Slaughter after launching -

Lunch at Wangi Wangi. We found a nicer beach just after we left....

Never mind sharks, beware the razor shellfish! Nobody came a cropper on these.

Landing on SE end of Pulbah Island

Video coming soon....

Last edited by Cowsgomoo on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's some video from the trip. I decided to put some of the segments into 1 larger movie this time. I've figured out how to use my new software. Nice to have something that just works. My old software was very very clunky and would randomly crash.

Video is 4:17 long and in youtube HD-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vd0a31fAU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fuser%2FCowsGoSailing&feature=player_profilepage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video and pic's!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent shots CGM. Your new camera is great!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great pics and video, thanks for sharing!

Looks like great conditions to add a jib...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work CGM! 8)
Agreed it was another great trip, this time in Slaughters backyard, Australia's largest saltwater lake.
A few more pics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the great shots and video fellas. Hav'n a young bloke at home who is a bit of a computer wiz has made me a bit lazy with the transfering of photos onto the forum. He's showed me a couple of times but it's not the most user friendly process. The cycling forum I'm on is a simple cut and paste of photos from a directory to a thread. Am I doing it wrong or do we have to go through photobucket or similar? Enough whinging, Yep we had a great day. Hope you all liked the Lake. Would have been nice for the wind to have been a few knots more, but it was nice to have the sun shining all day ( except at night :lol: ) when we got home. Thanks for the day. I'll get my photos up in the next few days.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

it can differ from forum to forum, some allow you to upload to the site ( can be expensive for the owners of the forum as they need a bigger usage allowance ) anyway I'm waffling on..

For here you need to upload your pictures to the web first, I recommend

something like imageshack -> http://www.imageshack.us

or

Photobucket - > http://photobucket.com

Once you have the URL for the image after uploading then copy it into the thread you want to post it in between the image tags [img]insert url here[/img]

for example - [img]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/711/56069465.jpg[/img]

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter,
This is how I post pics using Imageshack:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9237&p=47454
Imageshack has slightly changed its GUI but the steps remain pretty much the same! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where's a pic of the whole motley crew? :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Where's a pic of the whole motley crew? :)

There were some taken. Maybe turned out too motley... :wink:

Good pics Stringy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great photos/video/report! Thanks for sharing.
If you ever fancy a trip down south, we have a lot to offer in this neck of the woods and have sufficient space for camping/securing cars/tailers etc. :wink:
Chris - when I find the correct thread re GPS etc, I have finally got around to installing it and using it - including the magnifying attachment. I'll get to it asap :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mickey, but I already got a magnifier, tried it, found it got salty and obscured the GPS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris - I agree. I found the magnifyer to be next to useless and have removed it.
I took your suggestion and installed the 60CSX on a RAM mount I installed in the Cup Holder. Using the large lettering option, I find it is a great spot to have it - right at your fingertips and very easy to glance at whenever you want to check your speed etc.
I'm no expert on all its features yet, but I absolutely love having it on the AI. It adds anotherr dimension - excellent when checking speed under sail in particular :D
I believe I have found an even better place to mount to GPS - but you need the dodger for it to work. I have quickly come to the realisation that the dodger is a very useful accessory and once you have it installed correctly (I believe the Hobie instructions need modifying to achieve this, but either way it is not particularly difficult), you can simply clip the GPS to the top centre of the dodger - which just happens to be directly in front of your chest/neck area.
In fact, there would be sufficient hanging space available to have a number of instruments in this superb position!!
When I first used the dodger, I found it made life a bit difficult in getting to the lines and adjusting the mirage drive etc, but now that I've taken a bit of time to play with it I believe those issues can be overcome.
The other significant benefit of mounting the GPS in that position is that it is high above the water and well protected in most circumstances from any water whatsoever :D
I'm sorry you had to wait so long to get some feedback on the magnifyer but I didn't want to submit a report until I was convinced one way or the other. :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickeymouse, I too have bought the 60csx. After 3 outings, the cover to the usb port kept opening on the water and was already corroding! I talked with Garmin and they agreed to replace it with a new that sealed better. In talking with the manager at Garmin, I suggested I would try dielectric grease like used on fishfinders connectors, and he agreed it would help.

I filled each compartment with dielectric grease and have had not a drop of water enter. It actually a chore to open the connector covers to download to the PC, as the grease holds the covers on well. I also added a piece of plastic glued to the ram-mount holder to protect the whole back from angry waves.

I'm happy how Garmin handled the situation and that now the new GPS is as waterproof as my old etrex Vista.Image