Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Made a similar mount for my Hobie 18. The only issue I had was in waves it splashes a lot of water up thru the tramp lacing :? . (Maybe because of the 650 lbs on the boat? :oops: )

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The splashing through the tramp opening must be due to the high crew weight you mentioned. I have not experienced that issue on my 17, which has a shorter free-board than the 18.

With that crew weight it would be hard to flip and easy to right! I am assuming you put the righting bar on for single-hand outings.

Peace,

Dan
2003 H17 SE
Campbell, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes but I'm too chicken to flip it over by myself to try it out. :oops: Maybe next year when the weather is warmer and I can find someone who wants to get wet while watching me try to right the beast. The water should be nice & cold in the spring. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan P. wrote:
Before building the mod, I looked around on the web; found nothing available. So I started designing. After I built it, I stopped thinking about it.

Dan, I'd like to have your Hobie 17 righting pole mod in the "Beachcats Technical" album, would you mind if I used your pics and description?

(this really should have been a private message, but private messaging is disabled on these forums)

Thanks,

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan, My brother broke my universal joint after going turtle with female crew. :lol:

FYI; My pole is 100% homemade from a sunfish spar. The U joint was a light weight die cast aluminum unit out of McMaster Carr. My fault that I didn't source a better one. Back to the drawing board to purchase or make a better, stronger U joint.

I have all winter :( to figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Damon,

Yes, feel free to use my pics, text and drawing. Please note the source!

Best,

Dan
2003 H17 SE
Campbell, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Dan,

I got the righting bar. I was getting ready to figure out what equipment I'd need to purchase to build your adaptation (drills, saws, etc) when it occurred to me that I might want to ask someone who knows what they're doing for help. Wondering if I could pay for your time + parts to duplicate what you did and mail the part to me? The last drill I was around was when I was getting dental work -- and that wasn't recently. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. If you can help, shoot me an e-mail: adam at medjet.net.

thx

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm bringing this thread back up to the top because I'm looking for a reliable way to right my 17, solo. My season is about done, but I'm planning on perfecting this move next season.

How has your system held up? It's been 2 years.

Does it help you get out of turtle?

Thanks,

Dan L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The system held up great and worked very well when using the power righting technique. From flip to right, it felt like around a maximum of two minutes, maybe less.

However (i) as someone mentioned earlier in this post it is important to use an anti seize thread treatment on the bolts. I went to remove the righting bar (I transferred it to my FXone) and three of the four stainless bolts snapped. Thinking this project through a little further you should just get longer bolts and use nuts on the other side instead of tapping the aluminum , and (ii) I never turtled, so I can't comment on your question about righting from a turtled position.

I've still got one of the brackets with a bolt stuck in it. If you want it just to look at, send me a self addressed, return posted, padded, mailing envelope and I will send it to you.

Dan Peake
P.O. Box 28776
San Jose, CA 95159

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2005 FX-one

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank You,

I will do that. Do (did) you have a Bob to keep you from turtling? I turtle every time I flip. Don't have a Bob, but it is on my list of things to add this off-season.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

actually, Dan, now that I see look again at the schematic of the block, and the pictures, I don't think I need the piece. Thanks.

I assume we are talking units of inches?

Dan L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan,

is this the "Rick White Power Righting System" that you've modified? If so, and if I'm understanding the mechanics here, the forces applied to the dolphin striker are essentially along the long axis of the mast, as the junction of pole to dolphin striker is a pivot around which you rotate the forces, which are actually applied along the line that runs from the pole to the hull, correct?

you aren't torquing the dolphin striker (unless a line snaps?).

Dan L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, inches.

Forces: I entertained similar questions earlier in this thread; but in my estimation, and observation (from the water, and from the ground while installing and weight testing) - the dolphin striker, under the various righting load geometries is well within the strength limits of the materials. I think the bar or a line would break before the striker would even begin to reveal that it is under load.

I believe I got mine from Jeremy at Surf City Catamaran.

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2005 FX1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to revive an old thread.

My hot stick does not lock anymore, so I replaced it. So I've been toying with the idea of using it as a righting bar. I'd extend it half way, so it would be about 6 feet long and they screw/rivet it in place so that it can't extend and retract anymore.

Would that be long enough and sturdy enough? As far as sturdy enough, I would think so, most of the force will be pulling on the line and pushing the pole against the dolphin striker. I would probably insert a metal pipe inside to reinforce the mounting points for the line.

Mine would be for a H16, not 17.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Murrays (Stan Cowell <stan (at) murrays.com> sell the complete kit, or the fitting only. Still available, it's in their catalogue. They use the lower half of a windsurfer mast with an ID of 48mm or 1.9 inches. That info I received this week so it is current.
I did ask JJ from Surf City Cats, but he advised me he no longer stocks them and referred me to Murrays.

48 mm is a pretty chunky rod, so I doubt your hot stick would do the job. Windsurfer masts fail sometimes, you might get lucky, or find a redundant one for very little cost.

If you race you might ask someone if they are class legal.