Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Florida AI owners
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I just bought a pair of AI's. Last Sunday was our first time out sailing them and what a rush.

We live in Saint Johns, Florida, just south of Jacksonvile and are interested in meeting other AI owners in our area.

Jerry & Jerilyn

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tallahassee in the house.

Representing the 850.. Aw shucks, enough of that stuff.

Have only sailed my AI at Lake Hall (in Mclay gardens state park) but I am working on a trailer that is going to get me access to better areas, like St. Marks. I have relatives in West Palm Beach and Port Richey, so interested in those areas as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sarasota County

Sail

out of the Jetty between Nokomis and Venice
Sail between Venice Pier and Siesta Key

Kayak

Curry Creek and Robert's Bay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sarasota.
Somebody pick a weekend and place!
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Who: Mike & kelli
What: (2) 2009 Hobie AIs
Where: Sarasota, Fl based but easily trailered nearly anywhere
Why: 40ish sailors from way back who needed a little simplicity
When: Morning/evening during summer but prefer Fall/Spring sailing
How: ....in the world do you find local AI sailors, maybe a dealers list? Free beer? Food? ;)

Geoffrey and Sun coast sail, lets go. PM me any time. I'm usually good with a 2hr notice if the weather is nice.

Now.....which one should I use......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fort Walton Beach, 52 yr old SWM, interested in Choctawhatchee bay outings, sailing and fishing all local waters. Ready most weekends, (probably going anyway), open for suggestions. I have two friends nearby that have AI's also.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dosjers wrote:
My wife and I just bought a pair of AI's. Last Sunday was our first time out sailing them and what a rush.

We live in Saint Johns, Florida, just south of Jacksonvile and are interested in meeting other AI owners in our area.

Jerry & Jerilyn

Hi,

I live in St. Augustine and currently paddle an i14t. Thinking seriously of getting an AI next Spring. If you're in the St. Auggie area I'd like to hook up with you on an outing just so I can see the boat in person and get your thoughts on the boat and advice.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in as a recent AI owner after years of conventional kayak paddling (Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro). Just bought a used 2009 AI last weekend and hope to find some play time this fall to learn the ropes. I'm based in Gainesville and spend a lot of weekends in the St. Augustine/Crescent Beach/Mantanzas Inlet area. Somewhat less frequently I've been paddling in the Cedar Key, Suwannee and Anna Maria Island areas.

I would be interested in meeting some more experienced AI owners in the St. Augustine or Cedar Key areas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:D Welcome Birdman of Gainesville

There will be some multi-day expeditions to the outer coastal islands of ENP during Nov-Mar. Hope some of you Fl yakers join Chekika and me on our trips. We try to go during the week so we can get permits for our favorite islands and fishing areas. These AIs hold a lot of gear. Everybody kids me about my walk-in freezer (50 quart Igloo cooler fits in the cargo hold nicely), camp chair, table, tent, etc packs between the cooler and my seatback and still have all the room inside the hull for the rest of my gear. Happy hour starts at 3PM (after fish are cleaned/iced). Then some cook while others gather firewood/keep inventory on liquid refreshments. We finish dinner cleanup in time to sit our chairs around the firepit and watch the sunset. Then the fire is lit (by this time, most of us are lit too :mrgreen:) as darkness closes in and stories begin to roll on, and on, about deeds of the day, or times gone by.

Keith Wellman (Chekika) has been doing these trips for almost 20 yrs now. I joined the group in Nov 07. I had camping experience hiking the Appalachian Trail, but none on multi-day kayak camping trips in the Everglades. Its a great adventure. I really had a good time and I will continue to do these trips as long as I can. They're a great group of good guys and gals (mostly guys). So the more, the merrier... within permit limits...usually 12-20, depending on the island we choose.

Ya'all come, ya hear! :wink:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey polecat. I came on looking for posts from you and chekika. I suspected by now to see some concrete plans. Did you see they erected two new chickies on Fl bay? sounds like a posible overnight trip. Maybe a kickoff for new folks for a sail-in and overnight to Pavilion is in order. My schedule is not my own now that I'm flying the 777 but I should be able to escape a few times this year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Quirkster,

Keith (Chekika) got back from New Mexico (and expeditions around Yellowstone)in mid-Aug. Now, Nancy (wife) has got him on a trip to China. He should be back in a wk or so. I'm sure we'll be doing something in Nov.

Stay in touch.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heads up! Planned Flamingo to Chokoloskee Trip, Jan 11-Jan 17, 2010

Polecat and I (and maybe Quirkster) are planning a 7-day trip along the Gulf coast of the Everglades from Flamingo to Chokoloskee. If you don't know, this is along the southwestern tip of mainland Florida. The tentative schedule will be

Jan 11, 2010 Monday Flamingo to Middle Cape Sable (15 mi) or Northwest Cape (19 mi)
Jan 12 Tuesday Mid Cape/NW Cape to Highland Beach (23/19 mi)
Jan 13 Wed Fishing day/relaxing--fish Broad River or Lostman's River. If you don't fish, relax and enjoy Highland Beach. HB is a terrific place to spend some time. Because of tide considerations we must leave tomorrow. We will have a fish fry tonight.
Jan 14 Thursday Hi-Land to Hog Key (7 mi) Catch fish along the way. Fish sandwiches for dinner.
Jan 15 Friday Hog Key to Pavilion Key (13 mi)
Jan 16 Saturday Relax, fish Pavilion. Pavilion is justifiably referred to as the "Gem of the Everglades." Pavilion is a guaranteed “fish fry night.”
Jan 17 Sunday Pavilion to Chokoloskee landing (9 mi)

Several trip reports in this area have been posted on another thread--although the recent format change has messed up some of the reports, you can still get an idea of the environment. The link to Polecat and my AI trip in 2008 is http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=30
Scroll down until you see the title, “Flamingo to Chokoloskee Trip, Feb 25-Mar 2, 2008.”

If only 2-3 AI owners do this trip, I can arrange the logistics. If there are more, we will have to be creative to shuttle people/cars around.

If you have any questions, ask them here or send an email to me at kwellma at gmail dot com.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
Heads up! Planned Flamingo to Chokoloskee Trip, Jan 11-Jan 17, 2010

Polecat and I (and maybe Quirkster) are planning a 7-day trip along the Gulf coast of the Everglades from Flamingo to Chokoloskee. If you don't know, this is along the southwestern tip of mainland Florida. The tentative schedule will be

Jan 11, 2010 Monday Flamingo to Middle Cape Sable (15 mi) or Northwest Cape (19 mi)
Jan 12 Tuesday Mid Cape/NW Cape to Highland Beach (23/19 mi)
Jan 13 Wed Fishing day/relaxing--fish Broad River or Lostman's River. If you don't fish, relax and enjoy Highland Beach. HB is a terrific place to spend some time. Because of tide considerations we must leave tomorrow. We will have a fish fry tonight.
Jan 14 Thursday Hi-Land to Hog Key (7 mi) Catch fish along the way. Fish sandwiches for dinner.
Jan 15 Friday Hog Key to Pavilion Key (13 mi)
Jan 16 Saturday Relax, fish Pavilion. Pavilion is justifiably referred to as the "Gem of the Everglades." Pavilion is a guaranteed “fish fry night.”
Jan 17 Sunday Pavilion to Chokoloskee landing (9 mi)

Several trip reports in this area have been posted on another thread--although the recent format change has messed up some of the reports, you can still get an idea of the environment. The link to Polecat and my AI trip in 2008 is http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=30
Scroll down until you see the title, “Flamingo to Chokoloskee Trip, Feb 25-Mar 2, 2008.”

If only 2-3 AI owners do this trip, I can arrange the logistics. If there are more, we will have to be creative to shuttle people/cars around.

If you have any questions, ask them here or send an email to me at kwellma at gmail dot com.

Keith

Keith, please let us know how it goes. I'm desperately waiting for warmer temperatures since I need to get back on the water, but currently it's definitely too cold for me!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I were out Sunday (60 deg F, wind:12 mph, cloudy). It was a test and very informative--cold. It will help our planning.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am currently in Maryland with my AI. Next week I'll be at my place in Jupiter for a few weeks but wont have the AI until I move perminantly later this Spring. Can't wait to sail with yuou guys. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next