Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently purchase a Hobie 21 SE with spinnaker. The previous owner never setup the spinnaker. Does anyone have any details on it? Does Hobie have anything on this?

Also anyone use a spin without a snuffer? This is an old system and doesn't have one :evil: . Should I have a sail maker make one?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is the information provided by Hobie. It is buried on their website, but was easier for me to just post picture.

My boat is 21SE #031 and is the old system. I do have a spinnaker pole and not the bridle system that was initially used. I do not have a snuffer. I only have experience on monohulls flying a spinnaker and the bag seems to work great, but of course the snuffer appears way easier. I have a spinnker bag that I just tie to the lacing at the front corner of the crossbar. It also can be easily moved from side to side. My setup does not use the combined halyard and tack as shown on these diagrams, but I might convert as this looks way easier. I have yet to fly mine as conditions with experienced crew has not presented itself since I have had it rigged.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pro sail spinnaker by Doyle for my 21se some 20 years old that works just fine,I do not like the Salem cigarette logo and would rather have a new spinnaker (less logo)and a spinnaker pole if it added little set up time.The 21se takes a while to set up and that cuts into real sailing time.Simple would be nice,that why I really appreciate my two 16's....Bill 404 21se

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bill 404 wrote:
I have a pro sail spinnaker by Doyle for my 21se some 20 years old that works just fine,I do not like the Salem cigarette logo and would rather have a new spinnaker (less logo)and a spinnaker pole if it added little set up time.The 21se takes a while to set up and that cuts into real sailing time.Simple would be nice,that why I really appreciate my two 16's....Bill 404 21se

So you do not have a spinnaker pole?

I also have a Salem sail plus a generic red white and blue spin.

Luckily I keep my boat rigged on a floating dock, so all I have to do is put up the sails. Otherwise I could never imagine bothering with the H21.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My spinnaker is a Hild Sails, Inc., City Island, New York and most likely part of the orignial boat.

See my earlier posts for set-up time. I have been able to set-up with my wife in 35 minutes. Mostly it is a 50-65 minute exercise and 45-50 take down time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You don't need a snuffer. The crew goes over and grabs the foot of the sail. Sheet may or may not need to be handed to the skipper depending on conditions. As soon as foot is grabbed, sheet is released and tack line released. Halyard is released and sail is pulled down in the lee of the main and stuffed. Toss halyard overboard to stream straight back to prevent tangles while the sail is coming down. Takes longer to type it out than actually doing it and it's not hard at all to do.

To hoist: pull tack out- if using separate tack line and halyard, hoist halyard, sheet in.

I can rig and unrig my boat in less than 20 minutes without getting in a hurry mainly because of the trailer I designed and built to simplify telescoping the boat and it includes a mast raising a-frame and winch for raising the mast and a roller on the rear mast carrier to just roll the mast into position to attach the foot. I modified a cargo bar for the inside of a semi trailer to put pressure side to side to install and take out the taper pins. Front pads on the trailer are wide enough to let the hulls slide in and out easily and the crossbars telescope too to narrow the width for trailering. After all that though I hardly ever narrowed the boat to pull it unless it was a long trip like cross country or not on Interstates. Trapeze shockcords are contained under each wing so trap wires attach quick and easy with small Wichard snap hooks. Snap shackle under mainsheet system.