Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My solution for this is as follows:
1. go to http://www.watertrailgear.com and look in the coolers and bags section. The right one for the forward compartment is triangular at 36Long and widest end 19Wide. Fits perfect in the bow compartment of my Revo with room to spare behind and below the bag.
2. go to wallyworld to the cooler section by sporting goods and get the roll of flexible steri water bubbles for freezing/refreezing. Because its 2in round seperated water bubbles trim it to size, (plus in a pinch you can pop them and drink). Freeze and put in the cooler bag.
3. The cooler bag has a thin insulate reflective lining. This is no good for fish which will easily cut or puncture it. Solution is to call a pool installer that has remnants of heavy vinyl pool liner which they will give you for free. Get 3M 5200 sealant and cut the vinyl to size/shape of cooler bag and make it extra on one side for room to insert fish (form a pocket.) Attach sides with the 3M to form a sleeve to insert in the cooler bag. Leave enough room at the top to roll down and clamp. When done for the day pull the sleeve of fish and rinse. No smell residue in your cooler bag. I have used this for many 10hr days of fishing in Florida waters and the fish is still cold upon removal. My next step is to install sheets of closed cell foam on the walls and lid of the REVO forward compartment.

Last edited by sammy925 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a stringer. Works great. $2 bucks from walmart. But, you are in florida where another fish might eat it on the stringer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A big nono here :wink: . The water temp is way to hot and more than once we have been visited by Mr. Naughty :x . I now carry a powerhead on the Deepwater trips. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use that same bag strapped down to the bow of an Adventure (the 36" long one, I think it is around 19-20" at the front and tapers down to about 5" at the narrow end), the fit is excellent up there.

I had the same concerns about how fast a few fish spines/teeth would shred a $100 bag, so I get the $2 insulated hot/cold bags that Sam's Club / Wal-mart sell near their frozen goods area (to carry groceries home with) and use that as an insert. Works well, it takes the punctures, and pretty much holds the slime and gunk of the catch away from the interior of the main bag. Personally, I use water/soft drink plastic bottles filled about 2/3 full of water and then frozen to cool the bag - my thinking is given the limited carrying capacity of a kayak, if something happens and I get caught out way longer than expected, the ice becomes emergency drinking water. The extra insulation of the wal-mart bag helps out, too, in that the fish bag from water trail is poorly insulated. This method works great for smaller fish (under 26" or so), but you would not be able to fit larger fish in the "insert" bag, so be aware of that. The suggested solution of pool liner sounds like it would be excellent if you are catching larger fish on a long trip in the sun.

Frankly, as poorly as the bag is insulated, and as flimsy as the interior material is, it isn't worth anywhere near the $100 asking price. But I haven't found anything else out there that has the shape (again, EXCELLENT fit up on the Adventure bow, quick and easy to put a couple of large key rings through the hatch cover bungee tie down latch points, and use stainless steel clips attached to the handy d-rings on the bag to grab those rings, along with a clip onto the forward carrying handle.) I've been caught in 2-3' heavy/sloppy chop with the bag on the bow with fish in it, and no problems so far. Sooner or later, I'll get around to attaching some small latch points to move the bag back toward the seat well a bit (it is a PAIN to get up to the bag around the mirage drive when it is attached to the hatch cover bungee points.)

So, even though I see MUCH room for improvement to the bag itself, and consider it almost criminal to produce such a cheap product with that type of price tag, I'd buy it again, at least until something better comes along.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I picked this item up I looked at this companies other products on display and had to do a double take when I compared this fish bag to the other soft coolers they make. The other products actually have a heavy vinyl liner and much more insulation. At first I thought this was not even the same maker, a different company all together. Not sure why they skimped on the fish bag, but yes I found the price tag a little steep for its construction. The frozen water bottle idea is standard operations for me and I reasoned everyone does it. If there is one thing you can't go without when on extended operations, whether intentional or not, it’s freshwater. As stated before I too would buy it again, solely for lack of a suitable alternative that fits as well as it does below deck. But as I stated in the subject line, "This Works."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello,

What is the weight of this cooler?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It is a soft cooler bag, maybe a 15OZ at best. Go to the web site.

Last edited by sammy925 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32 am 
Hobie Team Member

I wish... I really, really, really wish... that Hobie or someone would contact California Innovations and get them to start making the heavy duty cooler tote they used to make. I still have two of them in service after 3-5 years and they originally cost me a mere $15-20 each. I'd happily pay $25 for them.

California Innovations makes a cooler tote that will hold 3-4 large pizza boxes. They used to be made with more insulation and a tougher lining than the ones they market now. The ones they market now are only about $12 and work well enough but the old $18 were much better. Sam's Club was my only outlet for them.

The most fish I've ever put in one was: 15 trout from 12"-17" + five red drum from 16"-24" + one flounder at about 14". I had room to add several more trout. (The limits here are 25 trout, 5 reds and 10 flounder.) I WISH I had a problem filling the bag and needing more storage room.

I typically use small Gatorade bottle filled with water and then frozen to keep my catch fresh. Works great. I rig the bag with a stringer running into it. When it's safe to do so and the bite is fast I put the fish on the stringer and when things slow down I slip them down the stringer and into the cooler bag. I put the bag behind my seat and fold it over on top to provide an extra-thick layer of insulation between my fish and the brutal sunshine we have down here. Works great.

http://www.californiainnovations.com/pr ... rmal-tote/

Matt, you would be my hero if you could use Hobie's marketing power to convince the folks at California Innovations to bring back the silver colored heavy duty cooler tote. Put me down for five of them on your first order if you can sell them for less than $30.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Everyone! I picked up a Revo last weekend. I've been working on getting it rigged up properly. I'm working on the best way to rig a fish bag/cooler. I've seen several on here that would work. It seems like an in the front hatch bag would help to keep you bag out of the sun as well as lower that weight all the way to the bottom for better stability.

I'm thinking about going with the one the OP suggested. Does anyone use the Creative Feathers bag on a Revo or is it too big? Also, if you decide to strap on the bow rather than in the front hatch, how do you attach the bag? I assume you would need to mount some eyelets? I'm all about drilling as few holes as possible. :D

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One more question, does anyone know if this is the same thing as the "watertrailgear" bag mentioned by the OP?

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/123 ... ooler.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't say if it is the same or not. My item has ony 1 handle on the side. Without dimensions or it shown open I really can't say. The logo on the wide end looks exact, but you need to see the dimensions for the fit. It does look very simular though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sammy925 wrote:
I can't say if it is the same or not. My item has ony 1 handle on the side. Without dimensions or it shown open I really can't say. The logo on the wide end looks exact, but you need to see the dimensions for the fit. It does look very simular though.

Thanks Sammy. I think it is the same. I'm in Houston, so I can head over to Austin Canoe and Kayak to check it out. They should have a revo and the cooler there, so I'll stick it in the bow hatch of their floor model to see if it fits. I'll let you know what I come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Coors Liight soft cooler for storing fish. Works great. I use another one for my fish finder battery and other misc stuff. Free as long as you drink beer. Mine is 4 years old. Might use a new one this year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Be aware that there is an item out there which looks very simular that mearsures 44" long. I think from cabellas or bass pro. That item is a bit too long for the compartment. If your working the water in a warm environment (ie southern US)forget the strap on top idea. Insulate below deck and store there. This is really not an option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay so I went to check out the cooler at ACK and it looked just like the water trail bag, but it didn't fit. Must have been the 44 incher.

Sammy - where did you buy the one that fits? Thanks.