Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave or Bravo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,
I used to sail on a laser but i want to teach my wife sailing on something fun yet not too slow, I have NO experience with Cats.
I am tall (210 pounds) so i am not sure if the bravo will be very fast (enought to be fun, if you know what i mean) with both of us on it.
I was considering the H-Wave but i know its a bit more expensive and takes more space in the garage, I want something that i can sell easily without loosing much money when we are ready to move to a real cat. (maybe H16)

I dont want to jump directly to the H-16 because i dont want to frustrate myself (and her) with the complixity of getting it ready to sail.
Ideas/Recommendation?
How fast would a Bravo vs. Wave sail with 350-400 pounds on it?
Would you actually need to hang outside the boat to balance it in strong winds with that kind of weight on it?

Thanks alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm...I dont' have any experience with the roto-molded boats, but it seems to me that the Bravo wouldn't be desireable for more than one person - it is quite small, and I bet that it would be terribly bogged down by the weight that you mention. I'll let someone with more experience with the Wave/Bravo give you a real answer though.

My advice is that you hook up with some Hobie sailors in your area and take a ride on their boats - I bet you could find a Wave and a 16 owner in your area that would love to do so!

While a 16 might take longer to set up, you can get a used one for nothing compared with a new Bravo/Wave. They take up more space, but offer the crew something to do besides act as a mobile counterbalance :) You also get the joy of trapezing! An older 16 without super-adjustable downhaul/outhall/jib cars etc is probably simpler than the Laser to rig, but, never having rigged a Laser...

Anyways, ask around and see if you can get a sail before you even consider buying!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The chances of finding a cat that is easier to rig than the Laser are slim (maybe the Bravo is, I haven't seen one up close yet). I too have a "heavy wind" stature. I started out on the H16 and moved up to the H18 after about 5 years. When I say started out I read a book about sailing, bought the H16 and taught my self how to sail fom scratch. I learned a few years later that was apparently a bad idea. Oh well.

If you are worried about the complication of the rig and the time it takes to set up, I was able to get the H16 into the water from my trailer in 15 minutes with the help of one good crew. A buddy and I would go out after work. He has a H16 too and we would get both of them in the water in a half hour. We did not race an didn't have all the really fancy rigging.

You can find H16's for under $1000 depending on location, age of the boat, and equipment. You will probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it as long as you don't make any major upgrades. Parts for H16's are everywhere. I know eBay has a constant stream of H16 parts.

Overall, I think the H16 is a great boat for new and experienced sailors. They are cheap to aquire. They are easy to rig. And, everyone seems to know about them. You can always find someone who knows how to fix/rig/sail them.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats great guys, Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm planning on hitting the beach this saturday to see what's out there.
What about the H-14? I know its no longer in production but i read a bunch of good stuff about it. What are the chances of finding a good one out there or is it long gone?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 14 is definitely a ONE person cat - there is no way it'll take more than two very light people (two young teens might be ok). It isn't designed nor capable of floating more than that.

Edit - as far as finding a 14, at least in my area (NW), they are very commonly for sale in decent shape and cheap (~$400 or less). Craigslist is a wonder.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I havent seen any cool performance pictures for Waves at all.
In the strongest winds how far do you need to hang outside to balance?
Did anybody ever see a wave sail on one side only(like the H-16s)?
Did anybody ever cupsize a wave ?
-Ash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was out a week ago on my Wave in 15-20mph, with my 17 yr old son aboard. Together, I'm sure we exceed 300 lbs. We were sitting on the windward hull, aft, and the hull was only 1/2 way out of the water. I was looking for more wind. This boat is extremely stable with two people aboard. I think that if you're looking for the hull-flying thrill ride, you'd have to single-hand it, unless you have a lot more wind than that. Next time I'm in those conditions, I'm going to try sitting on the tramp instead, to see if I can get more hull out and consequently more speed (this was my first time sailing the Wave, so I'm sure I have a lot to learn).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you considered the Getaway? I sailed a Laser for about 5 years before buying a Getaway, and it was a fantastic upgrade.

The Getaway has most of the performance of the H16, all the ease of use and ownership of the Wave, and more tramp and storage space than almost anything out there. It requires 2 people to put up the mast, but I would say that after that, it is easier to rig than a Laser. The Getaway is so versatile - I have had 6 adults on it having a blast in a good wind, or a bunch of kids on a light day, or just my wife and myself in almost any weather.

The Getaway is so much faster than the Laser, it will blow your mind. I have no doubt that it would meet and exceed your performance expectations. And you won't believe how easily and comfortably you can achieve that performance. You can also forget about having to upgrade again.

Post subject: It was very nice!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I demo'ed the wave this weekend. Was very very nice. we were 3 adults on the boat (abt 550 pounds total), nice breez we didnt fly but it was nice. Funny thing is that a little fish jumped on the trampoline! It was funny but i guess the poor thing got stuck in a wave, it's fin cut my finger while i was trying to put back in the water.
I saw the gateway, it seems nice but too big for me. I want a boat that i can store in my garage and this is definetly not the kind of boat plus it's much more expensive.
Thanks alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ashmetry wrote:
I havent seen any cool performance pictures for Waves at all.
In the strongest winds how far do you need to hang outside to balance?
Did anybody ever see a wave sail on one side only(like the H-16s)?
Did anybody ever cupsize a wave ?
-Ash

1st post :lol:

http://www.almeria-network.com/mojacar/ ... ieWave.jpg
http://www.hobiecat.nu/media/batar/wave/IMG0022s2.jpg
http://www.water-play.com/2003Site/SB/i ... ave-02.jpg

Im a small teenger and so is my brother. Together we are around 200 lbs. In 15-20 knot winds we get the hull high, not as high as the crazy pic though.

Post subject: More Wave Feedback
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like you sailed it a bit and have gotten a ton of feedback, but I'll add my two cents.

I purchased my first Wave last winter and sailed it almost every weekend May through September on Lake Michigan. With a friend of mine, we're probably around 350 lbs.

I never flyed a hull with him on board, but we definitely were planing and friggin screaming in 15-20 kts of wind. I have the jib set on mine, and I know others don't care for the jib, but I know it gives more power than main alone.

I've definitely flown the hull when single handling, but again, the winds were pretty fresh.

I absolutely love the boat's versatility. It's great with my kids and wife, or for cranking on a brisk day. Good luck....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Go for the Getaway, my son and I fly a hull all the time. And we're alot closer to 500 lbs than 450. (I do wish the sail was as large as the the 16.) And you can handle it, unless it's really windy its very controlable. I only had one time out alone where I headed back to the trailer because it was alot to handle.

Post subject: Re: More Wave Feedback
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've definitely flown the hull when single handling, but again, the winds were pretty fresh.

Defintely, i think the reason hobie doesnt show a lot of hull flying (same w/ getaway) is that it might intimidate some beginners. But by nature it is a cat. Both the getaway and wave have very large sails and mast and WILL FLY A HULL. The wave will probaly only fly a hull with 1 person though. Unless your very light like me. I actually am getting the trapeze for christmas becasuse i came very close to capsizing a couple of times because i was high! 2 cents given.