Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kepnutz's coverage of Tomales Bay inspired me to post another one of my favorite kayaking spots, Lake Tahoe. Sugar Pine State Park is a very nice place for kayaking when the winds are strong from the southwest. The pictures were taken on a Sunday in late June of 2007, the day the big fire burned much of South Lake Tahoe. We started our day on the north shore, however, we decided not to launch there because of strong southwest winds creating 4-6 foot waves that were crashing hard the beach.

Here is a link to the park brochure http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/510/files ... ochure.pdf
Link to a google map http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... Tahoe+City),+96142&sll=39.045902,-120.138041&sspn=0.396224,0.617981&ie=UTF8&ll=39.058878,-120.144325&spn=0.792299,1.235962&z=10

Parking is convenient, however, there isn't a ramp, but you can easily cart your boat down the bike path to the old boat house that is part of the park.

Picture below looks towards the point of launching

Peddling north, looking up towards the Ehrman Mansion, which is also one of the attractions of the park.

Heading back south, after peddling north. Looking south towards Sugar Pine Point. This point created nice protection from the southwest wind.

Looking south after rounding the point. Lake Tahoe fire is probably in its first hour.

Last edited by rferre2000 on Thu May 21, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Ref
Was that you parked over at Browns Ravine today?
I was going to leave a note on your winshield but I decided not to
It must have been pretty warm out there today.
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Kep,

Yes, it was me. Enjoyed some high water scenery up New York Cove, and the other side. Were you pedaling today?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Ref
That was you then .. !
I thought that trailer and car looked kinda familiar from your Bear lake post last night!.
I shoulda left the note on your car window that I wrote but I didnt want you to think I was a kayak stalker. :lol:
I was not pedaling today but making a product service call to the marina.
My best friend Keith and his wife Patty live in the green house, inside the park, across the road from the dry storage area.
He has managed the marina with/for the owner for over 30 years.
I bet it was pretty warm out there today.
I looked around for two white adventures but figured you would have been way up the south fork anyway. Nice to be able to launch there right off the road rather than the Hobie Cove Logjam. 8)
Looks like we could get a run in T-bay later in June with favorable tides.
I have Saturday and Sundays off so I have to check tides and weather mainly on those days.
If that works for you Ill send you an email as it gets closer and we can do a run down there and check it out etc.

Stay Cool out there
Kepnutz

South Fork Near Salmon Falls

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Kep,

Yes, it was very warm out there in the late afternoon, though I had some shade and a light breeze in the various forks and coves. Overall, it was a very nice day, though the high water makes it difficult to get out of the boat to stretch, unless you like standing in tall dry grass.

I've always wondered who had the good fortune to live in that house at the marina. When we had a Catalina 22, we were at the lake most weekends (when there was enough water that is). I am best acquainted with Ken and Tom, but I'm sure I have seen Keith. Did he have a Hobie 16?

I look forward to T-Bay, however, late June may not work for me because of Father's day on the 21st and the possibility we may be heading to Bear Lake the last weekend of June (and leaving the kayaks there thru mid-August). If it doesn't work out in June, it might be nice to escape the heat in late Aug or Sept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Sugar Pine State Park is a very nice place for kayaking when the winds are strong from the southwest. The pictures were taken on a Sunday in late June of 2007.

Great photos! Sugar Pine is my favorite place to kayak on the Lake and the stronger the wind, the better!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry about letting the secret out. My theory is that kayakers are generally quiet and low impact. I definately wouldn't have publicized this gem on a PWC forum! lol. Of course the secret of Lake Tahoe was exposed a hundred years ago to power vessels.