Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello
We just approved the Charlotte Harbor Regatta as the newest addition to the Points Regatta schedule for 2010 as a Hobie 16 event. HCA-NA membership is necessary for points and scoring! http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com This will take place Feb 4-5-6-7 (near Punta Gorda) and they are set up very well for Hobie 16, with plenty of beach and parking lot space, and a full social schedule.
Arie Van Duijn [email protected] is our Hobie organizer for this event, so please contact him via email to indicate interest in attendence. We are in hopes of a good number of 16s, as this will be a great opportunity to show off the Hobie/Catamaran advantages in front of sailors from lots of other boat classes (Sunfish, Laser, Flying Scots etc.......)
Please consider this regatta, and put it on your winter calander and RSVP with Arie or contact me at 641-425-8720 with any questions.
Chris Wessels
HCA-NA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

See Brian Gleason's message regarding the NOR and registration for the Charlotte Harbor event:

It’s been a whirlwind five months, but July 20 marks a milestone for the Charlotte Harbor Regatta with the posting of the Notice of Race and the opening our registration site for the Feb. 4-7, 2010 event.

With low fees, free slips, great hotel rates, generous sponsors and lots more, the Charlotte Harbor Regatta promises to be the fun, affordable regatta. Five classes already have committed – Flying Scot, Hobie 16, Weta trimaran, S2 7.9 and Sunfish – and there has been strong interest from class officers and members from several more classes, including the J/24, Melges 24 and Viper 640 classes.

The Charlotte Harbor Regatta will feature fast, competitive racing, exciting onshore activities and beautiful Southwest Florida weather. Classes will race on three circles, grouped according to class compatibility and size. The race committee will work with class officials who want to incorporate regatta results into yearly or seasonal points series. Several classes already have sanctioned the Charlotte Harbor Regatta as a class event, including the Flying Scot, Hobie 16,
S2 7.9 and Weta trimaran classes.

A large contingent of Hobie 16 racers from the Midwest is being raised by class chairman Chris Wessels. Let's show Chris what kind of Hobie 16 racers we have here in Southwest Florida.

An early registration discount and a $5 US Sailing member discount make the regatta even more affordable. Regatta rates on area hotels start at $65, and early birds can snag a two-bedroom suite right at our regatta host, Fishermen’s Village Resort & Marina, for only $140 a night.

Virtually everything you need to know about the Charlotte Harbor Regatta is available on our Web site at http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com.

Participants may register and pay online via our US Sailing Regatta Network applet or print out a registration form and mail in your entry and payment. The Web site also will enable participants and prospective entrants to see who has signed up for what classes, buy regatta gear and follow the results come February. Lodging, directions, related links and a regatta store also are featured online.

If you have any questions about the Charlotte Harbor Regatta, e-mail Brian Gleason at [email protected].

Thanks for your interest in the Charlotte Harbor Regatta. We look forward to seeing you on beautiful Charlotte Harbor in February.
The Fun, Affordable Regatta
Charlotte Harbor, FL, 33980
Feb. 4-7, 2010
[email protected]
941-206-1133

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I received this message from Alun Davies indicating that he is available as crew or helm for the Charlotte Harour event:

"I sail and race cats. I live in the Cayman Islands and am interested in coming up to the regatta you are having in February next year. I can helm or crew (I skippered a tornado for many years). Do you know anybody who might need a crew or a helm? Probably early days yet but what is the best way of getting my name out there. Robbie Daniel from Tamp knows me well and could give a personal reference if that is needed."

Let me know if you need crew, and I can put you in contact!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Charlotte Harbor Regatta is getting inquiries about Hobie 16 charters from all over, including Alun from Cayman Islands and a fellow from California, whose parents live here in Charlotte County. Andy from Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park told me he would try to work with individuals looking to charter Hobie 16s, but it's going to come down to what kind of used product comes through his shop at that time. If there are any individuals looking to sell or charter Hobie 16s in Feb. 2010, please contact us or Andy or Arie so we can help. Much thanks to Chris and Arie for talking up this event within the Hobie community. We're committed to putting on a world-class Hobie event for all of you.

Please try to register early if you can. The more folks see who is committed to attending, the bigger the fleet will be. Online registration is open, as is pre-ordering from the gear store at www.charlotteharborregatta.com.

Brian Gleason
Chairman
Charlotte Harbor Regatta
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bump!
Weather here is great at the moment.... 75 degrees, 10-15 wind...etc!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

arievd wrote:
Bump!
Weather here is great at the moment.... 75 degrees, 10-15 wind...etc!

You realize that by saying that (a week in advance of the event) that you've jinxed us, Arie?

Pouring rain. 30 kts. 40 degrees. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just doing my Chamber of Commerce duty!
Jinx or not, whatever the weather will be next week, it's got to be better than Detroit! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Considering it didn't get above 20 degrees here today, I hope so.