Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm an apartment dweller who lives in San Francisco and is in need of some information about where people store/dock their boats. Is there such a thing as a Hobie friendly mariana around the area? It sounds like the south bay is betted suited for Hobies, at least from what I could gather from other posts. Also, can anyone comment on the sailing conditions throughout the year for the bay? Do people sail Hobies year round? Any information is very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a matter of fact there will be a group of us sailing from Marconi Cove on Tomales Bay on Sunday the 19th. give me a call Saturday at 707-542-7245 at windtoys for more info. Ask for Andy. windtoys also does storage

Post subject: Sailing Year Round
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail my Hobie 16 when the water is 52 degress F. I do take pains not to go in the water except for launching or pulling her out.

I wear divers boots and a wet suit from the dive shop. You do not need a top of the line or super insulated suit but get something in between. I do find after I launch I usually take the boots off any put my regular shoes and socks on, to keep my feet happy.

I did try a wet suit head piece and gloves one time but that was uncomfortable especially in the sun. I figure water conditions will specify what more you wear.

I do find as soon as I loose the sun and have dried out a little I start getting cold in just the wet suit. Take an extra jacket and maybe shorts and plan on dressing in layers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've got a couple strikes against you - 1. apartment dweller 2. Live in one of the country's densest urban areas. Where do you store your boat now? I keep mine, along with four other Hobie owners, at Nelson's Marine in Alameda. It's outdoor, on-trailer storage, and we often sail out of Crown Memorial Beach in Alameda. As for storage in San Francisco, I'm afraid you're on your own.

Sailing a Hobie in San Francisco is somewhat limited to Crissy Field, where you'll need cold water gear, a VHF radio, a tide chart, and strong sailing skills depending on the conditions. If you sail south of the Bay Bridge you will find fickle winds from the wind shadow from downtown skyscrapers as well as an upwind return to whatever marina from which you leave. Sailing from Sausalito will require a motor since you'll be in a wind shadow from the Marin Headlands.
You could try putting in at Coyote Point in San Mateo, where the water is warmer with winds just as ferocious as Crissy Field. You'll need to do your own research on storage options.
Storage and sailing from the Redwood City Marina, while pretty far from SF, is another option.
Look into the Treasure Island Yacht Club, which also has storage, but putting in is via a crane, which is not difficult if you have the right sling. You will also be well positioned for the strong winds in The Slot, if that's your thing. There is also a small beach in the cove, accessible only from the water.

Sailing season is from the end of April until the end of October, with October having warm weather but light winds. The best sailing on the bay is between May and mid-September. From mid-October through mid-April the winds generally are non-existent or make an appearance during a rain storm.

One last tip - bay water will stain the hulls a dingy brown, and to remove the stains use either Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami (both oxalic acid), a damp sponge, a bucket of water, elbow grease, and a hose to rinse it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail out of Alameda (behind Encinal High School) but keep the boat on my driveway.

Quote:
I keep mine, along with four other Hobie owners, at Nelson's Marine in Alameda.

How much are you paying to store at Nelson Marine?
What are the access conditions / notice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nerfrider wrote:
How much are you paying to store at Nelson Marine?
What are the access conditions / notice?

Nelson's is $75/month, 24 hour access, security is a padlocked gate which is only as secure as the last guy who used it. I padlock my trailer hitch. At the main facilities you may use a hose to rinse off your boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI,
The ramp in Reswood city is closed for repair. The storage area has a waiting list. The wind is predictable and consistant in the afternoon, alot of fun and the water is warmer than other areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tha alter cup qualifier is also this wekend in alameda. Nov 1 and 2 adam in santa cruz is in charge or e mail me if you need info.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are they still on this weekend with the rain? I would like to go check them out.Where in Alameda will they be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

they are in talks about post poning due to the storm.
7. VENUE
7.1. Registration, the competitors briefing, launching, and awards will be held at the Encinal boat ramp area on Alameda Island. Figure 1: Venue shows the location of the Encinal boat ramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Rich :
It looks pretty bad for tomorrow, but I am in the area so I will see what comes of it.
Thanks
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

postponed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

> All;
>
> Given the weather forecast, I think the most prudent thing
> to do is postpone
> the Alter Qualifier now. The 15 - 25 part sounds OK, but
> the thundershower
> part sure doesnt. So rather than have us all show up and
> watch it rain
> together, I'd rather postpone now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What is the sailing like on the san paublo part of the bay. I just moved to vallejo and miss my hobie so much. The wind has been quite excellent since ive been here and would love to get my hobie up here. I am at the Cal Maritime Academy right at the carquinez straights and stare at the water all day wishing i had my hobie. I am trying to find local storage (mast up with a boat ramp) but have been unsuccessful.

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not much in San Pablo Bay, besides it's really shallow so you don't want to turtle there. You could try putting in at China Camp but you'll need beach wheels to get from the parking lot to the water. Head up to Rio Vista where the wind is reputed to howl.