Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Storage
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2 Pro Anglers on a Trailex trailer. Both yaks are sitting on cradles. Is this ok for storage?

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler Storage
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's how I will be storing my 2 Pro Anglers when the trailer come's in later this week. They sit on Poly Urathane cradles. The trailer will always be stored in the garage also that is heated and air conditioned if that matters. This is a good question and ready to see some of the replies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sure hope it is, I just ordered my Trailex with the PA cradles. Now I have my pickup bed empty for my camping gear, and it is just a matter of backing the trailer into the garage. I'm looking forward to that. How well do you like your trailer?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I called and my trailer was shipped yesterday. Should be here today or tomarrow. I don't think I will have any trouble backing the trailer, but I told the wife that she will need to remove the trailer from the truck and just manuver it by pushing it around with the tounge it shouldn't be too heavy for her. Just looking for a weekend now were the weather cooperates so we can do some camping before it gets too cold.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Moving the trailer with 2 boats is a piece of cake. don't sweat pushing it around. Also, as the trailer is fairly long it is easy to back as well. I have pulled in forward in my driveway and muscled it around, and backed it in. Time wise it was about the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Why1504

That's what I wanted to hear. Just waiting impatiently.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is from a guy that has spent the better part of the last 10 years driving an over the road truck...so backing a trailer is second nature to me. However; to those of you who don't I'd like to share two things with you that will make your life considerably easier when backing "any" trailer. Number one, always back from your left...in other words, if you are going to back into your drive, considering you probably have to pull up in front of your house to start your back. Pull up with your left side to the drive, pulling slightly past the drive, then angle the unit to the right side of the street/road (be careful to check for traffic before you "block" the road :? ), now "slowly" start back, and this is the second thing...you use your mirrors, not looking over the back seat (it is ok to look out the drivers window to start, but as you get the unit backing into the drive start using the mirrors.) Now I know you will immediately tell me it is to hard to make the trailer go straight. If you go very slow the first few times, as the trailer starts to get out of sorts, you make small corrections with the steering wheel to bring it back in line.
This also applies when you are backing the trailer into the water to launch or retrieve the boat, except if you can pull up to get the car/truck and trailer straight to start off, that is what you should do.
For those of you who have been backing your trailer for long periods of time, but not doing this, you might give it a try and see if it doesn't make it a little easier for you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,
Great post. Couple of other things for new trailer pullers. Small adjustments make a big difference. Place your hand at the 6 o'clock position of the steering wheel and don't go past 4 and 7 o'clock practicing. If you have never pulled a trailer, go find a big parking lot and practice. A couple of traffic cones would be a good investment. Lastly, these trailers are long. If you are by yourself, check how far you have backed in don't just assume you can tell.