Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can anyone clear up the deal on singlehanded H16 racing? Im six foot nine and 235lbs, love my 16 and Im just learning to race this season. Ive had trouble finding crew, either scheduling conflicts or lack of intrest in general. Ive been told that if I can add weight to my sixteen, up to 50lbs, I can race solo. This would put me at the 285lbs, which is IHCA minimum for H16 racing. Is this a real rule, or just a concession to keep big guys like myself interested in the class? Suppose I started winning against "A" fleet guys (dreaming, I know, but stick with me), would someone claim its bullsh@t or am I legit? Its not that I want to sail solo, just finding someone small enough to not be ridiculously overweight and interested enough to get some time on the boat is proving tough. Any info is appreciated! Thanks and Happy Sailing!!!!

:lol:

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It is quite legal.
Quote:
17.4 A maximum of 50 lbs. (22.7 kg.) of permanent dry (solid) weight may be carried on the boat to bring crew weight up to the minimum.

You should download the IHCA Class rules available at http://www.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/ihca/downloads/rulebook/RBook090708.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for it, a good buddy of mine Ted Jagger races solo at that weight and does really well.He also does really well even with a crew that often brings his weight up over 400Lbs.Might have something to do with he is a really good sailor.The other point if you start doing really good yes you will probably here some bitching.Ted ran into that at the Pan Am trials where after doing a horizon job on the fleet he was dragged off the water and weighed.Unfortunatly for him he did not rehydrate and ended up one pound under weight,DSQ for the day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bummer about Ted. I guess one should eat a burrito the morning of the race.

A weight is not the same as self loading cargo, I mean crew. You have to shift it around. And good luck if you capsize.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't worry about capsizing, if you're 235+ lbs, it's usually no problem. And it's not like I'm adding weight to the mast tip, it's perpendicular to the water if you tip.

I'm thinking that adding 2 25# plastic or rubber covered dumbells, lashed to the tramp on the sides, just behind the middle, maybe 48-52% balance front to back would be best. The rest of the weight distribution is handled by the skipper, that being me! Should be fun, but do I have to name my dumbells, like Hanks in Castaway? Wilson!!!!!... Ahahahahaha

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My buddy Madge is right...if there is 1 Premier guy in the country that sails single it's Ted Jagger. I was there at the Pan-Am qualifier and Teddy was golden...it was just a hot day and body water can make up several pounds...just think of wrestling. :shock:

Here's the thing, if you can get to 285 with 50 lbs...maybe just try and add another 5 lbs through Mcydees the week before..then you won't have much to worry about water loss.

I've been beat and been lucky to beat Teddy while he is singlehanding it. I think he gets at a disadvantage with bigger wind, but in the light stuff it's a GREAT way to sail if you qualify. Good luck and I hope we can race against each other some day!

Take care and keep up the Big Macs! Ha! :lol:

"Work Hard, Play Hard, Respect People & Love your Family"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh trust me, getting to 235# is easy, happens every winter anyway! Just something about salads that don't satisfy when it's 15 drg F outside! With my luck, I'll find someone who wants to crew, then I'll have to drop 30lbs... I've got the perfect weight too, lead flashing rolls. Comes in a 50 lb roll that I can open up and flatten out then cover it up and lash it down, very low profile and no hard edges like a dumbell.

Thanks for the advice and see you on the water!

B

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152