Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How many here have the Hobie Pro Angler and how do you like your's? I'd like to know the good and the bad; no kayak can be perfect.

I tested one on a small lake in Austin a week ago Sunday. The kayak from Austin Canoe and Kayak did very well I thought but had a little problem in the wind, around 15 to 20 mph. I think the hull is a little higher out of the water and that caught the gusts more easily than my lower hulled kayaks, an Outback and Ocean Kayak Prowler 15s.

I really did enjoy the boat though, even if the wind made peddling a little more difficult. I'm seriously thinking of buying one but haven't done it yet. I'm also trying to decide on where to buy. I've bought 2 or 3 from KayakFishingStuff and had great service, but they are 1,500 miles from me. Sifisto said buy there and he would make sure everything was set up like his before it was shipped out. His Pro Angler is rigged well and like I would like mine.

Austin Canoe and Kayak is only 100 miles south of me, so getting a kayak there would be far more simple. Drive 100 miles and pick it up, but I'm not certain of their proficiency in rigging MY Pro Angler kayak like I want it!

I've got 2 decisions to make!!!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Harold
I have had my PA for 3 months and absolutely love it. I live in south Florida and like to back water fish. I would say the positives far exceed any negatives with the boat. Some things take getting use to being it is a bigger kayak. I have a push pole for mine so I stand alot of the time I am fishing.
As far as rigging I recommend doing it yourself. I have had many boats through the years and some I have had rigged and some I rigged. You no what kind of job was done when you do it on your own. It also gives you a sense of personal touch and you can feel proud of that.
Good Luck :D
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan,

I bought a flats push pole the other night at a Federation of Fly Fishers' benefit auction in Mountain Home, Arkansas in anticipation of buying the Pro Angler.

Thanks!!

Ray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Buy it you'll love it!

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 am 
Hobie Team Member

Love my Pro Angler, pros are the comfort, storage, inline rod holders. I've still kept everything simple and the deck clean.

Cons, weight, but I knew that going in. I've already destroyed a set of the Malone saddles, should have bought the Pro Angler Saddles. And and the tracking. While I like the rudder, I have found it difficult to keep the kayak going in a straight line at times without having to make lots of little corrections during peddling.

To me it paddles better than I expected, because I thought it would be horrible. Not saying I would want to paddle for a long distance or in strong winds, etc, just that it surprised me based on what I was expecting.

I have a high end kevlar kayak that is now collecting dust and will probably go on the market soon.

Not sure about the ACK in your area, but the one in Houston seems to have an excellent rigging set-up. You can also go to other Hobie dealers such as Seaworthy Marine in Rockport/Fulton, but I don't believe they do rigging, but will double check as I will be there tomorrow morning and then JerryB's in Corpus. Also, if you want to do a major demo, I know Seaworthy rents the Hobies for day/weekend and I believe JerryB's does also.

I would definitely recommend the Pro Angler, but your doing the right thing in doing a demo first.

I've worked a number of Hobie demos this year and to date I've only had two people tell me that they didn't care for the Pro Angler and would rather have a Outback, Revo, etc.

Quit Wishin, Go Fishin and Take a Kid with You

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe the Austin Canoe and Kayak on Burnett Road in Austin is the original. It is the largest of the two in that area; I haven't seen the one in Houston. They know their stuff, but I had never had them rig anything.

I generally go the simple route, too, but with this kayak, I wanted to go BTBs at High Island and around the 40 to 60+ mile marker on PINS at the Mansfield levee. I thought a good GPS/depth finder/fishfinder would be a grea investment for the PA because of that, but that is just a guess, since I've never had one on a kayak before.

Simple gives me a lot less to get tangled in, which I seem to be good at.

Thanks!

Ray

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a PA and have pedaled it against a stiff 20mph wind. it does well going into the wind and I did not notice that the wind pushed me around too much when sideways to the wind. the PA rolls less in the waves and has a drier ride compared to my son's Outback. the rudder can be a pain but you will get used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had the PA for a few months now and I've not looked back. I've had the Outbacks for several years. Still keep two of them around for now. I've been in wind and stiff tide runs. I've not been any more hampered by it than with the Outback. Far less of an issue than with a regular fishing type kayak. The steering can be an issue now and then but I suggest a thorough "discovery" moment before going out and making sure it's adjusted properly and working smoothly. Really take a few minutes to understand the tension knob. I've also sailed the PA and it's fun. Not something I take along on many fishing trips, but I do take the sail kit with me locally here in the river. Tracking could be better and you'll find yourself over correcting with the steering. You'll figure that out before too long. Don't get overly excited about it right off, it'll come around.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought mine used, it is a 2012, Pro Angler 12 and came with the H-Bar and trolley and I paid $2100.00 for it and consider it money very well spent. In the month I've had it I've had it out four times and just love it, and have to admit I enjoy all the questions I get from other anglers who never saw one before. The only thing and I mean only thing I don't like about it is it can't handle whitewater, and I have a fishing trip coming up that will have about four class II runs in it, and I may have to barrow or buy a much lesser kayak for the trip to get through the whitewater. I'm seriously considering taking it anyway and porter around the rapids, but given the weight of this yak I'm not really looking forward to that being a 52 year old man.

But most of the water I fish are small lakes and smooth running rivers, so this is the yak for me. I also have a 16' Lund with a 35 Yamaha on it, that I will only be using when fishing with guys who don't have a boat, I would rather be on the Hobie which says a lot because I really like my Lund.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Save the money and buy the Pro Angler. Its is the best all around fishing platform out there. I did it and did the lights, ff/gps, trailer, longer paddle and a push pole. I have no regrets and when it does come to waves and wind I would like to see someone paddling keep up. I fish with my 7 year old on the back all the time. Shallow creeks and rivers to the coast of Texas.

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I might have missed something, but are you considering the 12 or the 14? I have the 12 and enjoy it very much. If I was putting it on a trailer, I would probably have gone with the 14 but I car-top mine so the 12 works a little better for me. My only dealings with ACK have been on-line or on the phone, but I can't say enough good things about them. With that said, I also recommend rigging yourself and don't be in a hurry. Get out in the boat and spend some time thinking about the things that would make the trip more enjoyable. I've kept mine fairly simply. A couple of RAM rod holders, the Ram mount for my Lowrance fish finder, an anchor trolley, flag for safety purposes, H-bar, and some gear track from Yakattack so I can remove the fish finder and rod holder mounts easily. I think it's everything I need and nothing I don't. Will probably leave it at that. BUY THE BOAT!! You'll love it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't forget TheBearMountain Ray.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had a Pro Angler and a Revo rigged at ACK in Houston and they did a very good job in rigging the kayaks. I believe a person should take a few trips out fishing before they rig the unit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes get the PA.. Great boat, not called a kayak due to size. The only draw back for me is the weight of the yak... One person will be a struggle, but it can be done if you have a boat ramp close.

It is a no brainer to use ACK in AUSTIN... Those guys and gals are the best in the business. If you have any problems they are there by email, phone or website to help you. Walk you thought any problems.. IF you have any need for warrenty, they will get the job done.

If you want to add a trowling motor make sure the get the bill of sale to register it with the state... I think you will get it but make sure to ask and know what you have in paper work...

Good Luck.

I have not seen you post on TKF in a long while?