Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

it cant be that shallow. I see 500ft supertankers cruise up the straight atleast a couple times a week. Plus my school sails there keelboats right out infront of the school all the time and never has any problems with their 6ft draft. I have never turtled my boat before. I dont sail it that hard. I like to not capsize or pitchpole because i am usually by myself and righting is almost impossible by myself. depending on the conditions.
Wind has started to drop off since ive been here but right when i got here (sept 3) for about 3 weeks the wind was blowing 10-15 steady everday.

I guess more what im looking for is if theres any places, maybe a marine, that have mast up dry storage and a launch ramp. In the east bay area. Im in vallejo so the closer to vallejo the better

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sgtpepperoni00 wrote:
it cant be that shallow.

Check a chart and you'll see it is. Many channels are dredged and woe betide a tanker that runs aground. For Hobie Cats the depth isn't a problem unless the boat turtles, and in a friend's case he lost his 18 when his boat turtled and the mast got stuck in the mud near the Oakland Airport. After two hours of waiting for passing help that never came he called the Coast Guard, and since they rescue people but not boats he had to abandon his boat and he found it the next day washed up on the rocks.

As for you not capsizing, I'm sure you are among the conservative sailors, but that doesn't mean depth shouldn't be on your mind. In last June's Delta Ditch Run from Richmond to Stockton the reports were all 15 or so beach cats capsized at least once (it's bound to happen when there are 68 miles worth of jibes in 15+ mph winds), and a 20 spent two hours on the rocks in Vallejo.

Also, be careful when sailing in those channels since the big boats have right of way since they must stay in the channel and have very little room to maneuver.

sgtpepperoni00 wrote:
Wind has started to drop off since ive been here but right when i got here (sept 3) for about 3 weeks the wind was blowing 10-15 steady everday.

From mid-September to mid-April the wind here is light except during a rain storm, but who wants to sail in the rain?

sgtpepperoni00 wrote:
I guess more what im looking for is if theres any places, maybe a marine, that have mast up dry storage and a launch ramp. In the east bay area. Im in vallejo so the closer to vallejo the better

The only place I know of near Vallejo that fits your need is the Richmond Yacht Club. There is a small boat marina in San Rafael near China Camp that may have mast-up storage with direct access to San Pablo Bay, but I forget the name.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ran aground during the ditch run in a wide open bay. Also went full turtle in a fluke wind swirl. it can gat wierd out there but I'll do the ditch again this year. Three of the teams didn't flip. Dan Delave, Charles and Greg Thomas , and one other.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

3 out of how many

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have moved up to Oakley and now keep my Getaway stored mast up at Lauritzen's boat yard.

So far appears to be some great wind and a lot less chop.

My kids enjoy the sailing far more up here.