Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently purchased a 1980 hobie 16. The hulls are in good shape except for the bottoms (they have been dragged up on shore for 20 years) and the glass is showing. There are also a few dings and scrapes that also look pretty deep. And finally, one hull has a crack about 2 feet long right on the bottom, that I can move slightly with my hands.

My question is what would be the best method to repair these hulls myself (having no experience) and what materials should I use? I am willing to put the time in to do it right, but I don't want to put a fortune into it either. In the end, I would like to make the hulls look like new again. Also, the hulls are yellow. Can I paint them white? Should I? What type or brands of products should I use?

Thanks for everyone's time

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:57 am 
There is a great thread on this subject @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beachcats/

Post subject: Fixing H16 Bottom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently did some work on the bottom of my H16. I used the West Systems epoxy with filler to fill in the holes.

I sanded the bottoms and wiped off the dust, then put on a coat of epoxy. After that and dried to a tack, I then applied another coat with the filler added to fill in the cracks and scratches. When you add the filler, make sure it is fairly thickend up enough to fill in the scratches and cracks and stay put without running out When that had dried to a tack, one more coat of epoxy to seal it in. Sand smooth, and you should be ready to rock and role again.

The Skier
1973 H16

Post subject: Bottom Job?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:01 am 
Site Admin

The classic approach to a bottom job is to flip the boat onto it's back. Flatten and rough up the keel a little with a rat tail file. Use polyester or epoxy resins, but understand that when you go epoxy, you can't go back to poly resins again for other repairs. Epoxy sticks to poly but poly does not stick to epoxy.

If you can get fiberglass tape (2-3" wide cloth on a roll) you can layer 6 - 8 layers of cloth and resins on top of the keel and shape. Best to shape a little before the resins fully cure. When the material is "green" you can use a utility knife to trim.

When there is a gap or crack in the keel from wearing through, the process is a little harder. You have to glass the two sides back together with more than just a cap as described above. You would have to grind some of the side gel down a ways on either side to allow you to span and wrap the glass across the gap and down either side. Then cap as above.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have already taken the hulls off the boat and have sanded some of the smaller scrapes down on the sides. I bought some epoxy and have some fiberglass tape. When I put a strip of glass on, do I have to wait until that cures completely before I lay another layer? Do I sand in between coats?Or do I wait until tacky and apply another layer? Also I am a little foggy on filler. Do I have to use some sort of filler too? Or by filler do you mean "glass?" Sorry to sound so stupid, I just don't want to make it worse. Thanks for the link mrw, did some checking on that. Do I have to sand all the gelcoat off to apply the epoxy and glass?

Thanks for all the help so far, I always fear the worst with these things!

Scott from Lake Champlain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I talked to a boat expert today and got the lowdown on my hulls. Thanks for all the help for those who e-mailed me with help.

Scott from Lake Champlain