Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

am new to this site.i just put a pro angler on layaway till spring.this gives me time to think and dream see what others are doing and think about what my needs will be.i was lucky enough to meet two great guy's that introduced me to the hobie pro angler and it was love at first site.she's a little on the chuncky side so i have decided to trailer her.my car will be going in this week for a hitch.i found a small boat trailer i think will work.but have been thinking of where would the best contact point's be for the bunkers or supports?also looking for rigging idea's i'm not going to rig it for a while but it give's me time to think.need all the idea's you have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:24 am 
Hobie Team Member

Good to see you over here on this forum Bob. You've seen many of my ideas but keep your ears and eyes open for what these folks have to say. There's a whole bunch of Hobie experience over here to learn from.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

roger i like the set up you have with the vertical rod holder for rigging and holding the rod when removing fish.thats a must and the two flush mounts also.been thinking of where to put my fish finder on the right side or in the sail port?not sure if i'll be able to see it ok in the sail port.what do you think.they have some good ideas on this site also.figured the more pa's i look at the more i'll have to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 am 
Hobie Team Member

"Saddles" for cheap... I rigged my trailer with cross members and to those cross members I added inexpensive plastic wheel chocks carefully positioned for proper support. I glued pieces of pool noodles to the wheel chocks for a little more cushion and carefully covered the chocks with black marine carpet to give it a finished look and added protection. Worked great. Each set of four "saddles" cost me less than $20.

As to rigging your boat. I'm fond of mounting rod holders on my crate. RAM's and Scotty's work well. I'm right handed and fish mostly off of my port side bow so I like to have my extra rods pointing toward my port side aft so as to reduce the chance of me snagging one on a back-cast. I end up drilling fewer holes in a boat because I rig my crate and that, IMO, helps resale value. Also, when I do buy a new boat (a bi-annual event it seems) I have less work to do to get it ready to fish since the crate moves easily from one boat to the next. Extensions are, IMO, a "must have" for the built in rod holders and I only put a rod in the one on my port side for the aforementioned reasons. I hate watching my reels take a dunking salt water.

Just my 2¢... worth every nickle you paid. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

where do i send the money?is the bill a nickel or 2 cents?i don't want to gip you?or is it 2 cents plus interest equals 5 cents?here in mass. we call it 2 cents plus tax equals 5 cents.thanks for the idea's.i need all i can get.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, do a search engine on rigging your PA; there's no set rules as what to do. Whatever type of fishing you may have in store can be tailored to your yak. Love my PA to end, and it only gets better. The fishing you have in MA is stellar, so I envy you. The game will change forever with your soon to be new love. MJ.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll send you what I did for my "prototype". I can only say that it's not putting pressure points on the hull. I used wood because that's how I always start something until I get the idea right then change to aluminum or whatever. Or not. The stern is sitting in some deep stiff foam bunks from the yak store and they'll do while I figure out the front. I need to figure out a method of more "swivel" so I can easily get the bow in the 'saddle' and push it forward.