It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Came across this on E-Bay today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hobie-Mirage-Adve ... _500wt_956

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With only two straps and clips on each side, they better be VERY strong to hold much weight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree. Pretty cheap though, if you just want something for lugging some extra fishing gear around on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would these be strong enough for 100 lbs of crew weight (i.e. wife)? The maker said he weighs 150 and it would support his weight "no problem". Does anyone have any real-world experience?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll be interested to hear more about these if anyone decides to buy them. :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought one awhile back. They are good for helping organize fishing gear and some light items. It's nice to be able to lay your fishing pole down across it without having to worry about it falling in the drink. I haven't tried putting any serious weight on them yet so I can't speak to that.

I did notice that the metal buckets rusted immediately upon contact with salt water. They literally started rusting before I got back to the boat ramp on the first outing. Very weird. (It appears to be just minor surface rust and largely cosmetic but it's still a little disconcerting. I have to wonder how long they will last......)

Overall, I'd rate them as "OK" but certainly no where near the quality of the Hobie tramps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recall reading somewhere about how stainless steel can get a bit of surface rust on it when new as a result of non-stainless iron residues from the manufacturing process. Maybe it's that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It could of course be a non marine quality stainless? They are pretty cheap those tramps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rokraider wrote:
It could of course be a non marine quality stainless? They are pretty cheap those tramps.

They have sold hundreds of different tramps on ebay and have 100% positive feedback on the quality of their product. Maybe I'm just whistling in the dark because I have already ordered them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Fyi... The Ebay ones are from a outfit that does tramps for catamarans as well. We know the history on these.

They are for one side only, Much smaller area, Half the attachment straps, Not recommended for a passenger, Stitched seams (not heat welded).

On cats, the Hobie ones have proven to pay for themselves over time due to longer life and lower maintenance. That will be the case for these as well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've no doubt the Hobie tramps would be superior quality Matt. I'd have gone for Hobie tramps in an instant if they were available in half-width (able to paddle, less chance of flipping).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've delt with straps like the ones sold with this trap andthey work well but i don't know how strong the tramp would be. And is the price on there for 1 tramp or for 2. But if you are worrieg about the straps, they work good and would hold the average person.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If straps are the only concern you can simply replace them with webbing and plastic clips such as Hobie use, which are available from Clarke Rubber stores in Australia. If need be just add an extra strap in the centre of each tramp to beef them up...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got my ebay tramps. Quick first impressions. I fitted them as close into the boat as possible and that seemed to allow enough room to use a paddle (albeit awkwardly). The buckles on the straps are absolute rubbish - they are flimsy and tinny and had some surface corrosion straight out of the box.
Of course the first thing I did was to put my full weight (170 lb) on one of the tramps, since that is not recommended. The jaw on the outside rear buckle gave way and the buckle turned itself inside out. I replaced the outside straps with tie-down straps and it felt solid and seemed to be supporting my weight easily.

This enabled me to fulfil a long-held fantasy and fit a passenger seat (from my Ocean Kayak).
It's very comfortable sitting in the seat with your feet resting on the front aka. When you sit back, the straps pop up and give you something to hang on to.
They also integrate easily with my existing Conlon spayshields (For a dry ride, always use a Conlon :wink: ).

All in all, they look promising at the price, but I would definitely factor in the cost of 4 short tie-down straps per tramp (or something similar) if you want them to support any substantial amount of weight. I should reiterate that the Hobie tramps are clearly a superior product. I only got these because I feel strongly that full width tramps are not for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking good Chris!