Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From what I understand, Hobie itself is presently working on the design of commercially available outriggers for at least some of their kayaks. It will be very interesting to see what the professionals come up with, compared to some of our own "home-made" rigs.

They are taking their time in developing these obviously, since they want to get it right the first time. I know which way I would go, based on my own experience with my Outback outriggers, but they will probably have to come up with a design that will work on more than just one model of their kayaks, and possibly one (or maybe a separate design for this) that can be retrofitted to some of their earlier model yaks as well.

My own recs would be for a design that makes the outriggers very easy to install and remove, easy to transport and store when off the boat, and easy to adjust prior to shoving off, as well as while on the water, should the need arise to do that. They should also be reasonably light in weight, and very streamlined to cut down on drag while sailing.

With regard to ease of storage and transport of outriggers on an Outback, here is what I finally came up with to save space in my garage: my kayak fishing “stack.” Note that this design and use of the stack is mainly for storage purposes in a garage, porch, house, or apartment. The whole West Marine cart, crate, ice chest, and outriggers, will fit neatly into a corner, or along a wall (maybe with a flower pot on top!).

At the bottom of my stack is a West Marine dock cart in which I store my live bait tank, flats boots, cutting board/knife/pliers, and rod leashes. I can wheel this whole thing out to my truck for loading stuff prior to a trip. West Marine now has a model with much larger wheels, and that would definitely be a better way to go than this model that is designed to be wheeled on a wooden dock or other hard surface, not over the ground.

Next in line, up from the bottom, is my Wal-Mart crate with the usual rod-holders on the forward part of the crate. What is unique about this crate design are the outrigger holders on the after side of the crate. These consist of two foot-long pieces of 2-inch diameter PVC that have been cut out to receive the RAM mount adjusting handles. Note that I posted earlier on how to install these RAM ball mounts on an OB. Unfortunately, the RAM ball mounts won't work on a Sport due to the lack of sufficient in-hull access for attaching the hardware, as well as the different design and molding characteristics of the gunwales. The white ice chest at the top of the stack is the Igloo 25 quart marine cooler with SS hardware that fits nicely in either the OB or Sport (especially the latter). When on the water, these 2” PVC pipes also work well for holding a trolling or boat rod. The 2” PVC pipe is also great for carrying a light mounted on a smaller PVC pipe for fishing or traveling at night, since it provides excellent, elevated 360-degree visibility.

This pic shows my cutting device, a Handee (Dremel-type) tool with a miniature saw blade. The cutout portion goes nearly to the bottom of the PVC pipe in order to mount the outriggers properly on the crate. The backside of the 2-inch PVC pipes are drilled and mounted on the crate with cable ties.

Finally, here is the crate on my Outback showing the outriggers mounted upright in their PVC holders. When loading my truck I remove the outriggers from the crate and just lay them flat, or propped up against the rear seat, or side of the cargo area. They are very lightweight and fairly non-bulky, so they are easy to transport in a vehicle. Although I probably could carry the outriggers on the water this way, I think the OB's low center of gravity might be affected, so I don't normally do that. When I get to a launch site, I attach the outriggers to the RAM ball mounts with the single adjusting handle, and am ready to rumble in about 2-3 minutes or so.

Anyone else have suggestions or ideas on what they would like to see Hobie do in terms of outrigger design? Personally, I can't wait to see what the Hobie engineers and designers come up with, especially for the Sport, and perhaps some of the others that can't use the RAM ball mounts, due to limited in-hull access and gunnel space. My guess is that Hobie might have to come up with more than one design, or at least more than one mounting option, due to the diversity of yaks currently available.

P.S. Almost forgot--there are a couple of other alternatives to springing for a dock cart, since they can be pretty pricey, unless you get one on sale, as I did. In putting together your "stack", you can also use an ordinary hand truck that you can get at Sears or Lowes or HD. Put your stuff in a second crate to go on the bottom (or even a sturdy box), and then pile on top of that.

Another option that I also like, is to use a collapsible hand truck or luggage cart. You can then load this in your vehicle, along with your gear, and then use it to unload, and get your yak rigged at the launch site. This is especially handy if, for example, you have to traverse a humongous parking lot to get to the water or beach. I forgot where I got mine, but you can get one at Wal-Mart. They are also fairly pricey, but of course can be used for lots of other stuff and store very easily, whereas a dock cart might be of limited general use. However, the crate on the dock cart is also collapsible and the handle retractable, so storage is not much of a problem with these either if you want to break your stack down, say to store in a closet, under the stairs, or whereever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the bags that you have mounted on the side of your crate. Where could I find those. I also am interested in making your outriggers so I will look up that post to see how you constructed them...

Thanks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey 5kfull,
Those "saddlebags" are made by Case Logic amd called a "Double Automotive Organizer" for putting behind the seat of a PU or SUV. I believe I got them at either K-Mart or W-M here in Tally, but any kind of heavy storage bags should work also. Some guys have mounted wade-fishing type, fabric tackle containers (bags) around their crates also. Look prettty nice, and not nearly as bulky as mine.

Did you ever get over to West Marine to check on those Scotty rod-holders? I plan to head over there myself in the next hour or so to see what new stuff they might have. Maybe we'll cross paths...

BTW, here is the post for the DIY outriggers:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1548

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Apalach! See you've been busy on another web site than KFS, sharing much good infomation that's documented with great photos. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Re: "Sport can't use the RAM ball mounts, due to limited access and gunnel space" I managed to use the ball mount to good effect on my Hobie Sport with my "home made" outrigger and it's worked quite well after over 25 exciting sails this season. Maybe Hobie can come up with a similar outrigger system for their new Adventure. Will send photo of my rig when I figure out how to do it on this site. Good sailing everyone! Norman aka Punchinello

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Punch,
Great to hear from you. Yep, I try to keep busy and since not a lot of the KFS Hobie folks have discovered this site as yet, sometimes I try to get a topic going over here. BTW, I' ve been wondering how your sculpting business has been going--good, I hope. You really had some interesting creations.

What I discovered about the Sport and RAM ball mounts (and what JonS later confirmed) is that there is not sufficient in-hull access in order to use the thru-bolted backing plates for the outriggers that I used on the Outback. Now, these backing plates may not be necessary, but with all the stress that my outrigger arms seem to impose on the gunwales, I felt that was the best way to go at the time. However, with my (wife's) new Sport, other than outriggers, I plan to put a RAM ball on the port gunwale forward and a Scotty mount on the starboard side to mount rod-holders. We have a great little no-motor state park and lake only about 15 minutes away, and with some pretty big bass there, I figured I might as well learn how to do some fresh water fishing since the salt has not been very productive as of late (and it is a lot more time and hassle to get down to the coast). Anyway, even if I don't do any fishing, I just enjoy getting out and about to do some pedaling and/or sailing to see some wildlife, and maybe take some pics.

I also want to do some sailing with my wife to teach her the ropes, as well. Except I found that learning to sail again in the Hobie means simply putting up the mast and sail, hopping aboard, and then just turning the rudder until you catch some air! However, my OB outriggers definitely were nice for providing more stability and security against dumping.

With regard to posting photos, you need to use a third party photo-hosting or picture processing service. You register and set up your account (all free), browse to your pics which they re-size to fit the site you choose, and give you the HTML code for posting the pics on the Web. I use the Fishing Forum picture processor myself (below). I also select the HTML code for the Florida Sportsman Web site, since it seems to be pretty standard, and works fine on both KFS and here.

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/

Here is a another one:

http://www.photobucket.com/

Have fun!
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Apalach! Yes, the sculpture business is doing well here in Montreal. Just finished one month ceramic exhibition at " 1001 Pots" in Val David, about 50 miles north of Montreal. Over 100,000 visitors! We sold well and will return for a third time next summer. Check out my site: www.ancientimage.com. and www.1001pots.com.
Lots of good sailing weather here in Montreal this summer where we sail in the canal next to the St Lawrence River. It's only 1/3 mile wide but over 7 miles long with very little current . The problem with the St Lawrence in the 3-6 knot current , especially when wind and current are in the same direction. Nice public ramp and launching facilities, including extensive docks at Gravel Park, just 8 minute drive from Nun's Island where we live the summer months. Honestly, I haven't had so much fun sailing in years!!! Maybe it's because one's so close to the water in a Kayak. Something new! I've adapted a 32 sq ft windsurfing sail to the Sport, which is great in winds up to 10-12 knots. In higher winds I'm back to the EZ Sail rig you see in the photo, which I hope to attach to this post. Maybe Hobie will come up soon with an outrigger system, then I'd contemplate buying that 16ft Adventure with the larger sail rig. Until then I'm quite happy with my little Sport. BTW, thanks for the photo directions. Hope your wife enjoys her new birthday present! With her new Sport she can join you and stop being a kayak widow. Did you have ulterior motives in buying her a Sport? Best to you both. Good sailing! Punch

Last edited by norman ernsting on Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Punch,
Yep--your pic came thru just fine. I still think your Sport sailing rig is just about the best around! Hobie will have to come up with somethiing pretty spectacular in the future to beat your sail and outrigger combo, I'm afraid.

I love that new Adventure myself, and predict it will take the yaking world by storm once folks have a chance to see and try it out. I have said ever since the Quest came out that if they added the Mirage drive to that, it would be just about the perfect yak on all counts IMHO. Looks to me like that is just about what they did, plus adding a few extra flourishes as well, such as the dagger board. I had no idea they could even do that since I figured the Mirage drive well would kind of be in the way, but it is a great addition IMHO.

If and when you get an Adventure, I fully expect that you will figure out some way to add a jib and maybe even a spinnaker to the mix. I'll bet the Adventure would be one heck of a speedster with the right sail conbination. The spinnaker might be asking for a bit too much in the way of kayak sailing, but if you get your creative juices flowing again re yak sailing, I'll bet you will come up with something along these lines!

BTW, I was interested to hear about the canal you sail in. I was wondering how you managed to sail in the St. Lawrence itself since that sounded to me like it might be more than a little hazardous to your yaking and sailing health, both from the point of the hydrographic conditions, and also because of the ship and boat traffic there.

You asked about ulterior motives in getting my wife a Sport, and now that I think about it, you're probably right! I am currently trying to figure out how to add forward rod-holders, how to rig up my Sport ice chest with aft rod-holders, how to set up a mesh dive bag in the hold to carry my tackle boxes and assorted junk, and the list goes on. I also plan to go back to trying to carry the Sport on my roof rack so see how that goes, rather than using my trailer (which will still be nice for carrying both yaks).

Anyway, great to hear from you, and good sailing to you too!
Dick