Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New H-14 Bast Step
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to be installing a new mast step, after replacing the mast base with a new one. It didn't fix my overotation problem.

My father, the one doing the installation (he has more sheet metal experience than everyone on this forum combined, save for the admins), feels it would be a much better installation if it could be moved 1/2" to the left or right of the existing mast step (thus not using 30 year old holes). How would this affect the sailing of the boat? My personal feeling is it will be faster to windward on one tack than the other. This would make for odd sailing! Any suggestions? I am hoping it even fits, since it took three months for us to get the part (guess hobie was just starting the h-14 production for the new 2005 mast steps). Plus, will it still be class legal?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a whole lot of standing rigging problems in the near future on this one. :shock:

Since I have an 18, I will let others answer this question. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sam,

Moving the mast step may be beneficial for the extruded aluminum beam if there are stress cracks forming around the holes. In this case I would just get a new forward cross beam.

Moving the mast step to one side will change how the load from the mast is supported by the structure of the boat. Depending on how far you move the mast step you may need to adjust your standing rigging for the new mast location.

If your father is concerned about the hole size and the rivets fitting in the properly he can redrill the holes in the cross beam and use larger rivets.

I would highly recommend not changing the structure of the boat without really considering what the ramifications are. There is more to this repair than the "sheet metal" factor.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Rivets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Rivets

Don't move it. Drill rivet holes in new locations or larger as suggested above. The castings are not pre-drilled.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also felt that it would be structurally unwise to change the location. Fortuanatly, it was not a problem. The orginal one didn't have holes that lined up properly. We just drilled new holes to the side of the existing one, now we inderstand why the casting is not pre-drilled (it wouldn't have lined up with the old holes). So, the casting is in the same location, but the rivets are not. It is definatly on nice and snug (air powered rivet gun).

So, Matt, how many of these things have you sold? I bet I'm the only 14 owner in North America with a nice, new 2005 model mast step on his 30 year old boat.

Sam

Post subject: New mast step?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I understand there is a difference between mast steps on the 70's verses the 80's boats. I compared mine (1985) to a new one in 2002 and it was the same. Are they different now?

cheers
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They just made a change to the mast step (the part on the boat) this year that includes taller stops and dimples so the teflon chip stays place once it is pressed down by the mast. The mast base (the part on mast) hasn't been changed since the eighties, I believe.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:05 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Billy, you should have looked at my boat closer this past weekend - I've got the new mast step on mine.

The 16 and 14's mast steps are the same. Look at the one on your ***brand-new*** 16.

Even with a new mast base and step, the contact area is only about 1/4 in square with all the mast rake we carry.