My lawn mower broke and I had to buy a new one. My old mower had large 16" wheels on the rear and I figured I could use them to make me a dolly for my AI. I took them off, along with the axel, before I threw it away.
Bought six U bolts, a section of Â¾ PVC pipe, (one inch outside diameter), a 3 foot Â½ inch threaded rod, (cut into two 14 inch lengths), one 1x 8six foot pine board and one 1x4 six foot pine board and some fiberglass resin which I already had.
For the center support I put two 14 inch lengths of the 1x8 together to get double thickness there then bolted the threaded rods exactly 11 inches apart to it. Then I put on each rod a five inch section of 1 inch outside diameter PVC pipe, leaving the rods about a quarter inch below the top of the PVC pipe. Taped the top of the PVC pipes, turned them upside down and filled almost full with fiberglass resin then sank the threaded rods into them.
I put two tapered 20 inch sections of the 1x8 on each side for braces and placed a 22 inch length of 1x4 above each. This is the result.
When installed, the PVC sections extend about half inch above the top inside of the hull. I donâ€™t transport the entire AI on these wheels, only the hull. I probably could but I usually park within 50 yards or so from the water so it is no big deal. To install them or remove them I simply roll the hull onto its side. Simple and quick. I never put the wheels into the water. I just nose the hull into the edge of the water, roll the hull over and remove the dolly.
I did not keep receipts for everything but the total cost was somewhere around 20 bucks, not counting the wheels and the fiberglass resin which I already had.