Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Two vids of some fast sails around the Portland area in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3hkDaTlWeQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSEbJJ4icZ8

The 2nd vid I posted on youtube last sunday & shows a sail we did on saturday, where one of our group snapped his rudder pin. The wind was about 25 and gusting up to 30 knots & he had not reefed his sail when it happened. Me & the other guy, snapped our pins a year ago & have been using stainless steel pins ever since.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great videos Tim. Nice to see some other South Coast AIs in action. I sail around and about Chichester Harbour. We should meet up for a wander sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Magic, there are three of us in our little AI group in Portland Harbour, we have never seen another AI down here & we thought we were the only ones on the South coast.

We have been contemplating doing a trip along the coast for sometime now, so that sounds like a great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice videos and well edited! Great work Tim! 8)
Poor Russ! Three AI's and not a spare pin between you? :shock:
The bolt from a 10mm x75mm stainless dynabolt makes a good emergency replacement! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did everyone look on their hatch covers? At least here, Hobie includes a spare rudder pin in the rear hatch cover.

Nice video! But you need to build a sprayskirt to tame that spray, wow! :)

What a way to go to the local pub!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reconlon wrote:
Did everyone look on their hatch covers? At least here, Hobie includes a spare rudder pin in the rear hatch cover.

Nice video! But you need to build a sprayskirt to tame that spray, wow! :)

What a way to go to the local pub!

No pins under our hatch covers unfortunately, the yellow AIs are 2008's and Russ's red job is a 2009. I did actually have a spare pin, but I think I gave it to Russ, he claims I did'nt - who knows ! But the real issue is steel/brass or plastic. My original pin went about a year ago, I was going through the harbour entrance shown in the last video in really bad seas, then suddenly I lost all steering, & was being forced onto the breakwater. I used my paddles to steer by and was able to sail to Weymouth harbour - which was where I got a steel pin from a chandlers & was then able to sail back - but it was quite a hairy experience.

As for sprayskirts - we like the spray :)

Not just the pub, we also get fish and chips from the chippy next door - which go down beautifully with a pint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Just get the new grey color pin.

Spares are included in every AI.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That makes 4 of us on the South coast with a possible 5th. I was getting moaned at by some of the club members for not waving back at them the other day. I was at the club at the time I was supposed to have been down the other end of Chichester harbour, so there may be another yellow one down there?

If you guys fancy it, we could always have a meet up at Hayling Island sailing Club and have a wander round the harbour or pop round to Portsmouth?
We have good facilities at the club including accommodation and a restaurant if you wanted to make a weekend of it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Just get the new grey color pin.

Spares are included in every AI.

will do, I'll probably order 2 though for Russ, just in case

tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rokraider wrote:
That makes 4 of us on the South coast with a possible 5th. I was getting moaned at by some of the club members for not waving back at them the other day. I was at the club at the time I was supposed to have been down the other end of Chichester harbour, so there may be another yellow one down there?

If you guys fancy it, we could always have a meet up at Hayling Island sailing Club and have a wander round the harbour or pop round to Portsmouth?
We have good facilities at the club including accommodation and a restaurant if you wanted to make a weekend of it?

Hayling is a bit of a long way to sail for us from Portland, but we could plan something for the Isle of Wight area, how about entering the round the island next year ? Alternatively you could come to Portland, it is where the National Sailing Academy is located + we have the Olympic sailing events here in 2012. We regularly encounter the olympic competitors when they are training, in our AIs & sometimes even overtake them :)

tim