Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my Mirage Drive (latest version) is acting a little funky.

When I have the left pedal forward and reach a moderate spead I feel the unit vibrate. It doesn't do this when both pedals are together or the right pedal is forward. The vibration stops at higher speeds.

Today when was sailing in 15 to 20 mph winds I felt the right pedal push back with a fair amount of force.

I looked at the fins a few times since the vibration started and the look fine. They seem to line up when the pedals are in the middle.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Has to be the water flow over the fins at the high speed. Could flutter the fins. It is typical for the fins to center at speed as I recall. You might consider using the drive well plug when sailing in higher wind conditions. That will reduce drag from the fins at speeds higher than you can pedal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Most fins develop a warp or "set" over time, as the trailing edge gets stretched by resting against uneven surfaces. This acts like a trim tab on a wing and tries to pull the fins over to one side or the other. If your Drive is reasonably well lubed and adjusted (without a lot of friction) the Drive is often able to advance one pedal forward (with your feet off the pedals) as you move along -- the faster the speed, the greater the tendency. About the only Drives that don't so this to some extent at about 5+ MPH are the ones that can't overcome the excessive friction (i.e. in need of a tune-up), and those with new fins.

As to vibration or chatter at speed, this is not normal. I would look carefully look for a loose mast, cut fin, cracked outhaul, loose cable, etc. If your fins are looking a little beat up and everything else appears good, replacing your fins may solve the problem.

Let us know what you find! 8)

BTW, a cardboard sleeve is a great way to protect and store fins: I dry and sleeve them as soon as possible when coming off the water -- they stay in much better shape and perform better!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips. Good tips. The vibration is more like a knocking. I can hear it knocking too.

I think it started after I hit the reef with the fin. I'll take the masts out and see if they are straight.

This boat is amazing. Thanks for the fun.

Aloha,
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the tips.

My mast rod was bent. I picked up a spare at the dealer and noticed it's a little different than what came with my V2 drive. The original has a slot at the end for a screw driver. The new one does not have a slot but two indentions for a wrench. The change makes sense. But, the new one seems to have slightly smaller outside diameter threads. I can insert in into the brass receiving threads and it goes in a ways before the threads make contact and you have to start twisting. The original makes contact sooner. The new one seems to go in tight after you get it going. I was wondering if this is an issue?

By the way, the part number for the replacement I picked up today is HOB-81198101.

Regarding storage, I think I'm going to hang it from the pedals.

Thanks again,
Dave