Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself as I'm now a up and coming member of the Hobie family.

We just bought a 21SE and dragged it home a couple of days ago.

Last edited by andercranster on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a couple of sets of extra sails if you need a set-not sure what they are worth-one set purple and pink and one set white. They have had little use but they've been in dry storage for 20 years. I probably only have one extra set of battens but maybe your battens are still good.

The ID numbers scribed into the transoms will tell you the year. I think it's the last two digits that are the year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do need a complete set of sails for her.

I've got all of the battens, etc. that came with the original sails. The originals are sitting on my ping pong table right now.

If you can come up with a price for a set I may buy it. I can't sail her at all until I have some sails :)

I've got some pics of her on this machine, but not online. When I have them uploaded I'll add some here.

She's got white hulls, and the #30 on the front outside of both hulls, and it says "Extreme Racing" on the outside of the stern of both hulls with a sailboat graphic.

She only came with one trapeze, and that rotted away as well. So if anyone has any used trapeze setups that they'd like to sell, I'm interested.

Failing that I'll probably just buy new.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my 21SE for 20 years and love it..Where is the boat located,I live in Columbus IN and if you live not too far,I will be glad to help you out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I knew the guy that owned that boat, if it was raced on the ProSail circuit. I'll have to check what current prices are and see what kind of shape they are in to come up with a price. I'm thinking around 1/3 of new price but I haven't looked at them for 20 years. I bought another set of white sails back then to put sponsors logos on and those are the sails I want to keep.

The white set I can sell is the original set that came on my boat and they were never used much, if I'm remembering right-maybe just one race weekend. The Pink and Purple sails may have never been used. I had two 21's in inventory when my business was hit by a tornado. One 21 was sitting out front with mast up, and the tornado carried it several hundred yards, still tied down on the trailer, and dropped it Salvador Dali style over the side of a dumptruck. The sails were in the side of the building that was still standing and untouched. I closed the business not long after that and all the stuff has just been piled in a storage building on our farm since then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom - I would also be interested in the sails as I am sure my jib is blown out. The main seems to tune nicely. I hate to say it but the previous owner made my boat with a purple theme going on.....I'll send an email to discuss the sails offline.

Ander - I have hull number 031. I just purchased my 21SE last spring and have had the best time sailing this summer. I have posted a few videos on youtube for fun. The couple of time that I was in perfect conditions I did not have time to video as I was fully concentrating.....Two more weeks of soccer season and I will be sailing again for the rest of the winter. Everyone on this forum is great and will be able to help with most if not all of your questions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally checked the sails out last night. Ayup, they're definitely shot.

Someone put stickers with the #30 on the outside of both hulls toward the bow.

I spent over an hour and half in the tropical storm rain east of Atlanta last night scrubbing her down :) Spent a lot less time rinsing heheheh. She's looking great as far as I can tell. I haven't been able to see her in the daylight since Sunday. By the weekend I'll be done scrubbing. So the next time I can get a good look at her will be Saturday morning, and she'll be all clean. Looking forward to it!

My father just gave me a buffer, so that's my weekend work.

Btw, all of the blackened metal: mast, boom, supports, etc., are all clouded and dirty looking. Is there a good way to clean them to get them looking good, or do they need to be painted? It's been sitting in the weather for 9 or 10 yrs...

Last edited by andercranster on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Btw, all of the blackened metal: mast, boom, supports, etc., are all clouded and dirty looking. Is there a good way to clean them to get them looking good, or do they need to be painted? It's been sitting in the weather for 9 or 10 yrs...

Get Penetrol from your local hardware store in the paint department and wipe on / wipe off and all of your black anodized metal will look like new.

Also, I found that Bar Keepers Friend is great at removing any stains on the hulls. This can also be found at the hardware store with the cleaning supplies and cost is about $2-$3 per can. Similar to Ajax but with a yellow can.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Penetrol worked great.

They have it at Lowes, but it's hard to find. Ask someone if you don't find it quick.

My mast and boom and struts look great though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

andercranster wrote:
The Penetrol worked great.
They have it at Lowes, but it's hard to find. Ask someone if you don't find it quick.

It should be in the paint department(with lacquer thinner), its primary use is to thin oil based paints.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you tell me how to post pictures or could you post some pics for me.

Mycaddycat email me [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Image posting faq: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)